Pretentious friends

justkeepon

:

I've been doing a lot of networking, particularly from students at my previous college (I just transferred to a new college this quarter.. most of my friends don't know, so that fact has nothing to do with this message), and recently I noticed that various people from my previous college "left me", as in removed me (and some just ignore me, to be nice), from their respective Facebook profiles. It means they were never my friends in the first place, which is fine with me!

This one chic in particular I met awhile ago at my previous college removed me from her friends list about 2 weeks ago on Facebook. I didn't know her all that well, but we kept in touch on Facebook occasionally, just like any human would do.. ya know?! Plus, we have many of the same mutual friends, who I still keep in touch with. On her side status it says "A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man should have to seek Him first in order to find her". I found God a loooong time ago! I don't plan on raping anyone anytime soon... seriously though... I'm naturally an outspoken person, so my guess is that she got tired of my random headline statuses and/or my quotes on my profile page. There are a few other people that removed me from their Facebook friends list, likely for similar reasons. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that everyone thinks and acts differently, so it's hard for some people to understand and interpret things on paper.

Some college students are so... blaaaah!!!! Ahahahaha! Fo' real, though! Some of them are very insecure, ignorant, dull, close-minded, and whatever else... And some are just plain haters and/or self-centered.

A while ago I found this at link removed. Egocentrism: Some people have the tendency to perceive, understand and interpret the world in terms of the self. The term derives from the Greek egô, meaning "I". An egocentric person has no theory of mind, cannot "put himself/herself in other people's shoes," and believes everyone sees what he/she sees (or that what he/she sees in some way exceeds what others see.) They are unable to separate their own beliefs, thoughts and ideas from others.

I think that accurately describes many people I've met, particularly in college.

I like what one of my friend's girlfriend had on her MySpace headline a while ago... "These first amendment rights are guaranteed to me regardless if I say * * * * you don't like!" There we go! Hehehe!

As I have in one of my MySpace blogs:

Always be yourself, because the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.

Or...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Theodor Seuss Geisel aka Dr. Seuss

I do have a few close friends that I regularly talk to on Facebook, so I'm thankful for all the real people in my life. Ay yi yi...!

Have any of you had pretentious friends before (people who pretended to be your friend, but in reality you meant nothing to them)?

It sounds like it hurt that they dropped you, but you've said so yourself, "the people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind". Focus on your real friends and not the fair weather friends. It will sting for a while, but you are going to meet new people at your new school and forget those fake friends.

And yes I've had people that I knew not to be good friends, they were fun and filled the time, but I wouldn't trust them with anything important or let them get to me.

yes it is very true, that the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind. i'm sure all or at least most of us can relate to a friend or two dropping us for either no known reason or something really frivolous (such as status messages on facebook). it does hurt at first, and especially so if the person was a close friend. but then of course you can muster up the strength to tell yourself you don't need them. it may take your heart a while to start believing that. it does take time. and of course you've gotta take to heart the words of dr seuss your signature quote says it all too. that the highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about. too true.

If its any comfort, I've seen lots of people write about feeling a need to clear their lists of people they don't know that well or correspond with frequently. Not sure why they feel a big list is unmanageable, but I've seen this lament often enough for you to not take this action too personally. I understand it hurts your feelings, that's natural--but I don't think it's done out of a hurtful intent.

yes it is very true, that the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind. i'm sure all or at least most of us can relate to a friend or two dropping us for either no known reason or something really frivolous (such as status messages on facebook). it does hurt at first, and especially so if the person was a close friend. but then of course you can muster up the strength to tell yourself you don't need them. it may take your heart a while to start believing that. it does take time. and of course you've gotta take to heart the words of dr seuss your signature quote says it all too. that the highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about. too true.

Well, for my situation, I'm not really hurt, but it's more so like "What's the problem? Most people know that I'm just a chill person that gets along with pretty much everyone." I'm more surprised than hurt, if that makes since. I dunno... I don't need them anyway... it wasn't meant to be..!

Yeah, I began to notice something like that, friends who were there merely because you could help with something, and friends who were there because they wanted to.

It's naturally to see the concept of me, myself, and I... I had a friend who only contacted me when he wanted help with something. I saw that and was fine with it because you can't please everyone and everyone can't please.

So at this point in life, it's good to expand your networks, but also good to keep in touch with good friends who care about you.

Archived