Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would a colonoscopy know that you had anal sex?

Would a colonoscopy know that you had anal sex?

Im getting a colonoscoy done, and i have had anal sex before. Would the doctor know this? And if he did would he tell my family? Because i am only 16 The last thing i need right now is for my family to know that ive had sex with another guy. ... please does somebody have advice?

surely there is patient doctor confidentiality??

Um, I don't know if it could be detected for sure... Maybe if you did it recently, since it causes some damage since it isn't exactly made to do that, hehe. I'm just assuming here since I'm not sure but I'd prob say that you'll be fine.

i dont know, but i if anything they might be able to tell if something was in there, but i HIGHLY doubt they can specifically tell youve had anal sex... and there is confidentiality so either way i think youre good.
    Focus on the good.

We have some medical professionals (I know there are a couple nurses here) on the board. I'm not one of them.

But I'd wait until one of them posts to your thread for a definitive answer.
    "And all I can think is that it must be a kind of rebellion
    to arm your fears like soldiers and to slay them...." -The Airborne Toxic Event

"All you need to understand is everything you know is wrong." - Weird Al Yankovic

The doctor cannot tell your parents anything. It's against doctor/patient confidentiality rules. Your doctor will ask your parents to leave the room for the procedure and then you will be able to ask him in private. A good doctor will also give you any important news in private, away from your parents.

They probably wouldn't be able to tell you've had anal sex specifically unless you have it right before the procedure.

Although, I do have to wonder why you are getting a colonoscopy and if you are having trouble with that part of you body, maybe you should refrain from anal sex for a while. I know that it's embarassing, but you should probably talk to your doctor about how to have safe anal sex. Trust me, a doctor has heard and seen everything! They are not allowed by law to tell your parents something medically confided in them.

But if you're worried about if the doctor will be able to tell if you've had anal sex in the past, the answer is NO!
    Life is like photography...you develop from the negatives.

I would imagine if the anal sex was recent then the doctor would be able to tell. Potentially if there was some damage done by lack of lubrication that would probably be detected.

There is a doctor-patient confidentiality that he/she cannot disclose the results of your exam unless you have given express permission to that person. Since you are a minor your state might require the doctor to tell your parents if he feels there is something wrong so it is hard to say for sure.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it the superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine

"The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

I'm one of those nurses that shes2smart was talking about.
    I'm not sure of the legal age of consent for where you are, but i can see absolutely no reason for the medical team to even care if you have had anal sex.
    Obviously, we have a duty to report and signs of what appear to be abuse, but is not the case for you, so again i see no reason to tell your parents and any attempt to do so would be a breach of confidentiality.

And trust me, no one on the medical team will care about your sexual practices or habits. We see all sort of things. Anal sex is pretty low on the list of "freaky" stuff we come across.
    "stone is not what makes a prison"

IM

Quote Originally Posted by comfyshoes View Post
    I'm one of those nurses that shes2smart was talking about.
    I'm not sure of the legal age of consent for where you are, but i can see absolutely no reason for the medical team to even care if you have had anal sex.
    Obviously, we have a duty to report and signs of what appear to be abuse, but is not the case for you, so again i see no reason to tell your parents and any attempt to do so would be a breach of confidentiality.

And trust me, no one on the medical team will care about your sexual practices or habits. We see all sort of things. Anal sex is pretty low on the list of "freaky" stuff we come across.
    Well, if he's a minor of 16, couldn't abuse still be a consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by hexaemeron View Post
    Well, if he's a minor of 16, couldn't abuse still be a consideration?
    Yeah, this is what I was going to bring up. In the medical office I work for, we don't have many minors..but on the occasional under age patient we're required to let the patient's parents know what is going on with the patient and what type of procedures, etc will go on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Related Articles & Books
by Margarita Nahapetyan
One of the biggest causes of stress and unhappiness in life are failed relationships. Making a relationship work is one of the most important life ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
It has been universally acknowledged that having a long distance relationship is not such a good idea, especially if there is no known end-date to ...
by Margarita Nahapetyan
Some people say that when we deeply love or care about someone we automatically open the door to betrayal. I am not sure whether such statement holds ...