Job Change after 10 years advice needed...

Hi

I'm 35 & have been in my current job 10 years im basically a PA but as im the only 'employee' and the office is at a private house i do everything and anything and am treated like a member of the family (they are both 65+ so there kids are my age) i look after house/pets while they are away etc..

Now my boss is allways off on one with new products and plans and stuff but nothing ever comes off and i spend a lot of time dealing with 'money problems' which i hate! And I do have to hassle him to get paid every month

Im still owed back pay (nearly 2k- that several times i have told him i could desperatly do with!) that goes back 5 years - I was ment to get a raise in December, but instead he cut my hours down as money was tight, but i insisted i got paid the same and took some of my back pay every month on top of my reduced salary so i was getting the same as i can't get by on any less!

Now cos i had 2 days a week free i decided to look around for another part time job, and one i really liked the sound of has now seen me twice (there are 3 jobs going at this place and they only saw 6 applicants in the first place) they then asked if i would be interested in full time, and have now asked me to pop in again later in the week

Now this new job is at a secure long term company, at a fabulous open to the public country house with farm etcc.. its a fantastic position which i think i would really excell at and enjoy big time and would be long term and i know im not old but would like a job something i can stay in for a long time.

Realistically i know if i get offered this, and i tell my boss he will probabley put the 'guilts' on me and mention his latest plan (that should come off in the nxt 2 years - yup heard that one before) he is gotta be thinking about retiring within 5 years, and i think the nearer i get to 40 the more i will struggle to find something else.

He has promised I will get all my back pay this month (but again, heard that one before) and said i should be back on 'full time' in April I really do enjoy my job here most days, but i just feel like im plodding along, the new place offers new challenges and im quite excited about it!

I know i may not get offered the new job, but i feel the time is right to start looking anyway.. i dont want to drop my current boss in it, as im often here on my own and it would take a hell of a lot to teach a new person the ropes as its so complicated!

I dunno what im asking really, this new job should be slightley more money which would be fab, but i suspect my boss will offer to better it if i stay.. its just i dont trust his business skills enough to guarentee that i will still be getting it in 6 months time, and realistically i cant see the job being here in 3-5 years time.

I sometimes feel like ive been seriously abused for not arguing the reduced hours or questioning the lack of payrise, but the further problem is ive had 9 weeks of fully paid sick leave this year (altho prior to this i think ive had about 5 sick days in 10 years!) that they made sure i was made to feel a little guilty about i know that will be brought up if i announce ive been offered something else ](*,)

To top it off.. if i do leave im on a months notice which if i give it next week leaves him about 2 weeks to find someone new as he's out of the country for the last 2 weeks of the month!!

Arrgghhh

Sorry for the waffle, to be honest typing it all down, has just confirmed to me that i should get out of here really....

Cxx

Hi, I have no advice for you, I'm sorry, except that change can be a really good thing. I just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat.

I have been with the same company for 10 years, I have given my resignation and the 30th will be my last day. I just need something different , my company has changed a great deal through the years and it has left me very frustrated.

Best of luck to you!

Lone

Hi, I have no advice for you, I'm sorry, except that change can be a really good thing. I just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat.

I have been with the same company for 10 years, I have given my resignation and the 30th will be my last day. I just need something different , my company has changed a great deal through the years and it has left me very frustrated.

Best of luck to you!

Lone

And Good Luck in the new job to you

I think frustration sums it up well.. some days i get hardley anything done, as i get so irritated with the way my boss runs things that i cant be bothered, and then at the end of the day im soo annoyed with myself for just taking all the rubbish.. but then again he is the boss so what he says goes ](*,)

I want to go to work feeling eager, interested and raring to go.. not thinking of all the nightmares ill have to sort out as hes incapable of running a company properly

Since ive been ill its given me a kick up the bum to get going on all fronts and sort my life out a bit.. i think a change is something that will really help

Its a delicate balance. Because of your personal involvement, you feel slightly obligated to them, yet because of your personal involvement, they have used that to fall short on some of their obligations.

Detach yourself from the situation and ask yourself what advice would you give someone you disliked who happens to be in this situation?

Also, ask yourself if you want to be asking yourself this question in another ten years. You'd be surprised how fast ten years can go by the second time around.

And Good Luck in the new job to you

I think frustration sums it up well.. some days i get hardley anything done, as i get so irritated with the way my boss runs things that i cant be bothered, and then at the end of the day im soo annoyed with myself for just taking all the rubbish.. but then again he is the boss so what he says goes ](*,)

I want to go to work feeling eager, interested and raring to go.. not thinking of all the nightmares ill have to sort out as hes incapable of running a company properly

Since ive been ill its given me a kick up the bum to get going on all fronts and sort my life out a bit.. i think a change is something that will really help

Gosh we really are in the same boat! Sounds like we will both be happier someplace else! Postive thoughts!