*She's too smart for me, very depressed

Hi people,

Well on Friday at work I got talking with this girl from work. She's beautiful, kind, caring and also, very very intelligent. She's 17(I'm 20) and in the 12th grade, she only works a few hours after school at K mart(same place I work) Anyway while we got talking on my lunch break she was doing homework at the same time.

I feel way beneath her, I saw the homework she was doing: Physics, Chemistry, Calculus etc etc.... also found out not only does she study the hardest subjects but she's nearly a straight A student. She also said she wants to be a dentist....Then she asks me what I want to do later in life... That hit me... I didn't get straight A's in highschool, I hardly even tried in highschool and barely graduated.

Now it's got me real depressed, I mean she's extremely outgoing, but she puts her school work first(something I never did and I'm paying the price now) In 10 years from now she's going to live in a half million dollar house with a lawyer husband while I'm still stocking shelves at K mart... I don't really know what I want. I'm unmotivated. I'm contemplating suicide seriously this time.

Anyone can be successful if they work hard. That is the secret. You do not have to be a genius to succeed.

At the same time, couldn't you start taking classes at a junior college, even part time. If you succeed here then you can get into a larger college and get a degree.

Of course there are many careers that make a good living without a college degree, like skilled craftsmen such as plumbers. In addition, you could work your way up the system in retail. It would take time, but district managers make a good living. You are still young. Find a profession that interests you and go get it!

Dude you seriously have nothing to worry about yea shes smart but hey it doesnt matter if she likes you it should be for you not that that your as smart or smarter than her as far as the school part dude there are like a million other 20 year olds out there in the same position as you your only 20 your quite young you still have time to go back to college or do whatever you want like the other peron said its just hard work so just think abou what interests you ro what you would like to do and then try and find some information on colleges or soemthing like a pima college you know everything will be good dude there are alot of people who dont start college or figure out what they want to do till like 22, 23 just relax i know everything will turn out good for you suicuide is not the answer i dont know if your religious or not but someone once told me god never gives you stuff he knows you cant handle youll be good yea things seem alittle desperate right know but you knwo what everybody goes through that and in the end they grt through it and are better and stronger this sad depression time will pass good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Fist of all - if she likes you, it doesn't matter what your education is vs. what her education/ambition is! Sometimes, opposites DO attract!

And secondly - you're only 20!! It's perfectly OK to not know where you're going in life at 20 years of age! I don't think I even found my career stride until I was 23 or 24! Not everyone has a Grand Master Plan when they are in high school; some people do (like this girl), and some people don't. It's OK!

i sense your desperation and truly feel for you. like yourself i feel that the future holds nothing. What im thinking about doing is writing books or setting myself up in business. being self employed will mean i can avoid usual work , and i will be in command of my destiny. just cause you feel trapped, it does not mean that you are. theres always alternatives outthere, and that means other women as well.

anyway mate, hang on in there, things are bound to get better.