Questions about birth control (essure method)

My girlfriend and I have recently been discussing different options for birth control and have been doing some research on the subject. We both agree that it's not a good idea for her to be on hormones for a long extended period of time and we both don't want children. I was just wondering if anyone here knows or has any first hand experience with the "essure" method. It sounds like it could be an option for us because we have also discussed surgical methods but neither one of us are completely sure at this point if we want to have an invasive procedure performed. If we did, I would probably be the one getting the surgery because it would be medically less complicated. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of potential drawbacks or benefits of nonsurgical sterilization for the woman. Thanks! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you are worried about invasive procedures, but want something non-hormonal, very low maintenance and with 99.9% effectiveness, you could also consider a copper IUD.

I absolutely ADORE mine anyway. And it was a quick doctors visit for the insertion, and no worries about it for 5-10 years depending on the brand and your doctors recommendations.

Just another think to add to the mix anyway. I don't have much knowledge or know anyone whom has had an essure procedure to give any insight on that one.

• Like 1

I get the depo-provera shot every 3 months and it takes care of endometriosis and the fact that I am over 35 and the gyn does not want me on the pill...it also helps that it prevents you from having a period until of course the doc tells you 1 x a yr that this must be done....don't know if this helps with the hormone thing but to me it is a godsend.

Depo provera is NOT for people trying to avoid hormones though - it does not operate the exact same way as the pill, but it does have synthetic hormones and there are risks of bone loss, etc as well with it. Probably not good for someone whom really is concerned about adding hormones/drugs to their body.

I get the depo-provera shot every 3 months and it takes care of endometriosis and the fact that I am over 35 and the gyn does not want me on the pill...it also helps that it prevents you from having a period until of course the doc tells you 1 x a yr that this must be done....don't know if this helps with the hormone thing but to me it is a godsend.

Depo provera as another poster said is not someone wants to get into if they're trying to avoid high hormones. I was on this for alittle over a year and the longer you're on it the more it screws up your body. On it I was bleeding for three -four weeks at a time. definitely not a type of BC I would recommend