Bad Daughter Award

In August of '06 my parents spent over a week in Switzerland and France, and have just started planning a trip down south for late Febuary. I think that its awesome that they are going on all of these trip and are having a lot of fun together. However, over the summer, the children in my family didnt have one trip. We didnt spend the night at any place other than a friends house or at home. I know that summer vacation doesnt equal a trip, but I just feel a little left out and I know that because I will be moving off to college in September, I will have to work all summer to pay for it.

I am hesitant to say anything to them because they are AMAZING parents, work harder and longer than anybody I know, and I love them to death. The last thing that I want is to discourage them to take this upcoming trip.

What should I do and am I wrong for feeling this way?

How old are you guys?

Did your parents do any other activities with you over the summer?

Movies, dinner, outing for the day?

If you are all teens, my thought is that THEY are thinking you'd rather not go on a family vacation, and that they also need time away as a couple without the kids... that is very important to any marriage. Try to remember that before they were your parents they were a couple- and they still are and need to feed their relationship to keep it going as well.

My sisters are 15, im 18 and my older sister is 20 (She doesnt vacation with us). We didnt do anything over the summer. Not a day out, not a special supper, nothing. When I was younger, we always had one big trip over the summer, or several smaller trips.

We are a close family, so maybe I should just be happy with what I have, and let my parents do their own thing.

You might mention that you would love to take a trip together as a family - they might think you're not interested anymore, especially as your sister no longer vacations with you.

It seems like you might be yearning for some family time, so you could also just suggest that you have a nice family meal together, or go on an outing together - not necessarily expensive, a nice walk in the forest, hanging out at the beach ...

You might mention that you would love to take a trip together as a family - they might think you're not interested anymore, especially as your sister no longer vacations with you.

It seems like you might be yearning for some family time, so you could also just suggest that you have a nice family meal together, or go on an outing together - not necessarily expensive, a nice walk in the forest, hanging out at the beach ...

I agree, I bet if you said to them, hey before I go off to college I'd like for us to have a weekend together, I bet they would really enjoy knowing that you dont feel like you are too old to spend vacations with them.

There are 4 kids in my family, and we did the family vacation thing until we were in our teens, and then my parents started going off and doing their own vacations because, well, raising teens 365 days a year was stressful for them! I think since you have had lots of family vacations in the past it is normal and reasonable that now your parents are ready for a little couple time.

Plus, at your ages, many teens (I'm not saying you) would not enjoy a family vacation, as this is the age when you are exerting your independance and seperating yourselves from your parents.

If you miss the quality time, why not ask you parents out to dinner?