getting a good even winter tan

hi, i posted about tanning a while back asking questions about "protective eye gear" and wanted to say thanks for the responses, they were very good and informative!

but now, i started back to school from about a 3 week christmas break and i tanned several (probably 7 or 8 times) over that period, and a girl at school today asked me if i got to go on a cruise or to the beach for christmas, because i looked VERY tan in the face. I hadn't paid much attention, but i came home and looked and compared myself to a picture from one of the last days before school let out for break and there is definitely a huge difference in skin tone. I don't want people to think I use a tanning bed, thats a secret I want to keep on the downlow, but I have noticed that without a shirt, my shoulders are sortof pale and that is odd because in the summer time , if you swim, your shoulders are usually the part of the body getting burnt the worst! so ultimately, how can i get a pretty even tan using a tanning bed? I'm not that experienced... should i lay in different posistions?

thanks!

Hey SaSaRai

You know you can always use those self tanning lotions that you rub on. Apply in a circular motion and one hour before going to bed. Applying in a circular motion will make sure that no streaking or weird tan spots develop. You are supposed to let the stuff get absorbed by your skin so thats the reason for applying an hour before bed. Wear proper pj's that won't stick to the tan lotion.

Different positions will probly solve your problem aswell, just make sure that you cover every area of your body with approximately the same amount of time in every position to get an even tan.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the shoulders too much. You probably won't be baring your shoulders too much at school -- not until the spring, at any rate...and if you keep on using a tanning bed to get color, people will likely realize that your tan face is not the result of spending Christmas at the beach.

If you really are concerned (if the difference in shade is huge), you can ask the people at the salon where you tan. They might be able to give you tips as far as positions.

And yes, as the previous poster said, you can try lotions...Personally I would recommend moisturizers that are spiked with self-tanner rather than just a tanning solution, because then you'll build up your tan in a more subtle way.