Quitting my job with no new job

I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice today after only 4 months of work-this is my first real job, right out of college but I just feel as though there is either no work to be done or else scary stuff is happening (I work in a max. sec. mental institution)-there is no in between and I for one don't like getting paid for not doing anything but feel there is no amount of money in the world they can pay me for putting my life in danger dealing with some of the patients. I'm really scared because with my Bachelors in Psych, there really isn't a lot out there but I can't take it anymore. I'd rather be bored all the time as long as I felt safe. I don't know what to do-maybe I'm making a mistake

I think it depends on a few things. Can you live off your last pay check until you find a new job? If you need money, do you have a support system in place that will help you out?

I have never quit a job before finding a new one. I understand what you're going through because I'm experiencing the same thing. This is my first job out of school and there's nothing to do. Ya, everyone thinks it's a great thing but it's very lonely and I know I have so much to offer. I'm leaving it soon and I have another one lined up.

I think you should try your best to find something else before leaving your current job, but if you're really unhappy then make sure you can live off the money you have saved (keep in mind that it could take a few months to find something else!).

At this point in your working career, I'd advise against leaving a job without having another because it's boring.

As for the safety aspects, that's a whole different story. If you don't feel relatively safe doing your job then there is a problem. Have you spoken to a supervisor about this part of it?

Perhaps in the boring, down time you would be allowed to do something mutually beneficial to yourself and your employer rather than waiting for something to happen. Again, talking to a supervisor may help.

The issue with leaving at this point without a good reason is that it doesn't show well on a resume when there is a difficult to explain gap in employment. Potential employers often don't react all that well should they learn you left a job due to boredom. I've done some interesting jobs over the years, but in almost every case there have been some boring stretches as well.

If you fear for your safety then you must do what you have to do (i.e., get out of there). One option of making some money while you're in between jobs and looking for a job in your field is to temp. I have temped as an administrative assistant, receptionist, envelope stuffer...you name it. It was a good way to keep a steady cash flow coming in...even if it was not anywhere near the field I am in now. Bottom line you do what you gotta do.

I had one boss who I'd go into meetings with, just he and I. I'd describe what I was working on as he fell asleep ... that's right, he'd go to sleep with just the two of us in the meeting. Next day he'd come in with this "great idea" (mine from the previous day). Eventually I told him he fell asleep all the time when we talked. Apparently (and I'm quite surprised) he didn't realize this happened and it did stop immediately after.

I'll return your hijacked thread by just pointing out that ideal bosses and working conditions are not always to be expected, safety aside. (Always be safe!!)

I typically don't advice leaving a job prior to having another one lined up... for the various reasons already expressed. I, too, recommend speaking with your supervisor and seeing if there is something that can be done to improve the situation WHILE you're looking for a replacement.

That said, my Bachelor's degree is also in psychology. And you're right, beyond some of these "grunt work" positions, there isn't much in the field for someone with an undergrad degree. I'm assuming you haven't attended grad school, so if you want to remain in the field you may want to consider addtional education.

Secondly, I no longer work in the field and find that there are plenty of opportunities for psychology degrees. Business appreciates your people skills. So, simply be willing to look beyond what your education was pushing you towards.

Best of luck!

I think it depends on to what extent your life is in danger at your present job. For a number of reasons, you don't want to quit your job before you find a new one. I would say that if your life is not really in danger, stay at your present job for a few more weeks or months till you find a new job.

I quit my job when I moved out here to CA. I had no job out here waiting for me and I am still unemployed right now, although I am going to school. I do have a few things to fall back on so I am NOT destitute, but if I had to do this again, I wouldnt have moved out here without a job.

I can cover my gap in my resume with my schooling, but it doesnt look that great that I am not working.