Is there hope in developing something from this?

For the past nine weekends, I have been working at a Ren Fair. I have had a good time, met a lot of interesting people and made a lot of friends. I initially started out working at the fair as a way for me to meet people, make friends, and maybe find someone to date. I am 30 now and I am starting to feel old and lonely. I kinda want someone in my life soon, that will stick around and not dump me or something like that.

Last Sat, there was a party on site where a bunch of people went. Earlier in the day, one of the guys who worked in a candle shop at the fair, talked to me for a bit as I was doing my rounds around the fair. We talked for a bit but I had to go. Later on that night, he saw me at the party and he decided to hang with me. He was real nice and chatty. We talked about our lives. He told me how he had trouble making friends, meeting women, finding a job, etc. I told him about my life and he was very impressed. We talked some more and eventually he asked me out to see a movie with him. I was like sure. I hung out with him for a bit at the party and some of his fellow candle workers showed up and we talked with them. During one part of the conversation, one of guys brought up to him about some girl that he had gone out with twice. He told the guy he wasnt sure what was going on with her and that he hoped to maybe date her. He knew I was there and he had just, about 1/2 hour ago, asked me out to see a movie with him. What gives? I did talk a bit with the guy later on in the party and the other girl was never brought up again.

Now to this weekend. We went out to see a movie on Sat night. I had a good time, although, the dork forgot to bring his wallet and I ended up paying for his movie. I dont mind doing that since, besides working at the fair, he has no other job. He lives at home and he has no car. He is 24 years old I believe. I kinda have an interest in him, of I kinda had an interest. After the movie, I asked him if we could go out and do something again maybe, and he was like "yes, we can. I had a good time". He then asked me to stop by on Sunday by the shop and we could exchange numbers. On Sunday we exchanged numbers. On Sunday night was the cast party since Sunday was the last day of fair. I hung out with some people at the party and had a great time. He did show up at the cast party and I talked to him for a bit at times. Before I left, he saw me, came up to me, and wished me well. We hugged each other and then he said have a good one. I told him I may call him in a few weeks to see if we could get together. He was like "yeah, we can, but I have to tell you this. I kinda have been going out with this girl, we have gone on two dates, so if you and I go out, we go out as friends, but if things dont pan out with her, we will see what happens with us. He then gave me a smile. I left. Now I have his number and dont know how to interpret that. How would you guys interpret it? Should I give him a call in a few weeks to see if he might want to go out? BTW, I do know the girl he wants to go out with. When he had mentioned it last Sat, I should have asked him about it. But I am the type, I see what happens but I dont get personal or pushy about it. I feel kinda upset and disappointed in this. Does anybody see ANY hope in this? I will call him in a few weeks.

I think if you like this guy enough and you think that he really likes you then go on that date as "just a friend" and see what you can do to win him over. He obviously has an interest in you. Just watch yourself and don't get used and you will be fine and don't spend too long with this one. You don't want to be wasting your time when you could be working on some other guy!

I already went out on a date with him this past Sat., to see a movie. After the movie and on Sunday, I asked him if we might go and hang out again. He told me that we might, but maybe as friends, because he was sort dating a girl I knew from the fair but if it didnt pan out then maybe something could develop between me and him. My whole premise of this question is to see what would possess him to ask me out to see a movie, if he was already interested in this other girl, and he was the one who pursued me at the party last Sat and he was the one who asked me out to the movie. Men are so hard to understand.

Well from my point of view. i see that you are 30 and he's still a kid at 24. he doesn't have a stable job or a car, and you would want somone that can support you at your age. that isn't the only reason i say he's a kid tho, it's also because he's just using you as a rebound. you come second, not first. so he must have a thing with this girl that he wants to work out. if he didn't like this girl as much as you he would've probably started dating you more and tell the other girl that he had found someone new. you don't wanna be the rebound if his first relationship doesn't work out now do you? i know it seems hard cuz i've been in the same circumstance. but you deserve someone who cares for you FIRST AND FORMOST. not "only if it doesn't work out with some other girl." you can do so much better than him. try looking for someone maybe a little older than yourself. usually they know and understand what the priorities for dating you would be.

From what he told me, he had met this girl in the beginning of the fair since she also works at the fair. I happened to meet him towards the end of the fair. I just dont understand, if he was attracted to her and they had gone out on 1-2 dates, then why he ask me out to see a movie with him? Maybe he just likes to hang with women, I dont know. I know he enjoys talking to women, I watched him flirt with a few women at the party. I didnt really hang out with him at the party.