Advice on selling an engagement ring

I think I have come to the realization that there is no hope in salvaging my relationship. Now, I am sitting with a ring that I am paying insurance on that I want to sell. It's a painful reminder to see it.

I called back the jeweler I bought it from, and they are going to check and see if they need the diamond like it. With this forum, I am sure many of you have gone through the same thing.

I just want to get rid of it. I am sure I will not get what I paid for it.

Sorry to hear about the relationship, it is always painful to break up with someone you thought you would marry.

you frequently don't get back the value, but some jewelry stores will let you trade the ring in on another purchase, if there is some other jewelry you want to buy for yourself, or your mother or whomever...

you could also put it into a safety deposit box and quit paying insurance on it since it is safe in a bank, then at some future time when it is less painful reminder to you, have it reset in a necklace or bracelet for a gift to someone else (or yourself). i got divorced and waited a few years, and reset my diamond into a great pendant for a necklace... all i see now is a really nice piece of jewelry, and don't really even think about that it is the same diamond that was in an engagement ring years earlier, because time heals all, and the breakup memory doesn't bother me anymore...

there's always Ebay, but you won't get as much... if you have an official appraisal though to show for the diamond when you list it, you might get more for it on Ebay... set a reserve limit equal to what a jeweler/pawn store might give you, and you just might get more for it if the appraisal justifies the price, probably somewhere between what a pawn broker would give you, but less than full retail value, which you'll never get...

too bad diamond rings are like driving a new car off the lot, but the same effect, the value drops substantially the minute you take it out of the store...

I'm sorry this happening to you...

I would first try the place where you bought it. If they can't use it, see if they have connections to someone who could.

Then I would try Ebay. Have it appraised, state that it has been appraised, and set a reserve price on the auction so it doesn't sell for too little.

Expect at any rate to take a monetary loss, but you will get something for it, and expect to acquire an emotional gain once you get rid of it and the attached memories.