Library worker

I'm thinking about getting a career certificate so i can become a library Tech/paraprofessional.This job would be perfect for me because i'm an introvert, i love hanging out in libraries/bokstores and i work in a library for 1 year.

I'm wondering can i make a living working in a library.

I'm thinking about getting a career certificate so i can become a library Tech/paraprofessional.This job would be perfect for me because i'm an introvert, i love hanging out in libraries/bokstores and i work in a library for 1 year.

I'm wondering can i make a living working in a library.

Well, I would not say good librarians are introverted....you need to have good people skills and communication skills, particularly in research libraries for example. The head librarian at the law library in my faculty is extremely hands on, dedicated to aiding students and researchers, outgoing and that is extremely important when you are dealing with that kind of material and clients.

Anyway, of course you can make a living at it, as to the degree you can, depends on your own personal goals, dedication, opportunities and so forth.

I have worked in bookstores and as term assistants in libraries, and my experience is you really do have to be able to deal with people, a lot.

Well, I would not say good librarians are introverted....you need to have good people skills and communication skills, particularly in research libraries for example. The head librarian at the law library in my faculty is extremely hands on, dedicated to aiding students and researchers, outgoing and that is extremely important when you are dealing with that kind of material and clients.

Anyway, of course you can make a living at it, as to the degree you can, depends on your own personal goals, dedication, opportunities and so forth.

I have worked in bookstores and as term assistants in libraries, and my experience is you really do have to be able to deal with people, a lot.

The reason why i love being in the library it's quiet, i can walk around and people come and people go.

I have worked in libraries for ten years now both part time and full time. I love some aspects of my job and not so much other aspects. I love helping the students and working the circ desk. I work with budgets and acquistions.

If you have an awesome sense of detail and have a geniune love of books and knowledge and sharing and teaching others what you know, I say go for it. Libraries will be changing a lot in the coming years more technologies and all, and it is always nice to see young people interested in learing what we know.

LeAnn

• 3 weeks later...
I have worked in libraries for ten years now both part time and full time. I love some aspects of my job and not so much other aspects. I love helping the students and working the circ desk. I work with budgets and acquistions.

If you have an awesome sense of detail and have a geniune love of books and knowledge and sharing and teaching others what you know, I say go for it. Libraries will be changing a lot in the coming years more technologies and all, and it is always nice to see young people interested in learing what we know.

LeAnn

Thanks for the library tip

• 3 weeks later...

I've worked as a library tech in an academic library (without a diploma). Right now I'm doing an MLIS which will allow me to be a full librarian. I can say that working in a library is very fulfilling, especially if you enjoy public service. I myself am an introverted person; however, as RayKay pointed out, it's not a job that you take to avoid people. Aside from your coworkers and supervisors, you come into contact with the public quite a bit. But I wouldn't let that stop you, the atmosphere is usually very pleasant, and it would give you a chance to develop social skills in a non-threatening environment.

Orfeo,

Thanks for the tip.I start school next month to get a career certificate in library and information tech because I want to become a Library clerk/aide/assistant/tech not a librarian.I already worked at a high school library for 1 year and I love workingthere.I don't mind checking out books and helping people find books.A library job is a perfect job for an introvert like me.I get to work by myself and not in a group like my current job.