What are the first symptoms of pregnancy?

brooke617

My very first symptom was a strange stuffy nose (I had this 2-3 days before my missed period and continued to have it for several weeks). It wouldn't drain or drip - it just remained stuffy. I gather now that it was due to the hormonal action in my blood trying to build up a mucous plug. YUCK I know.... but I don't have the stuffy nose now, but did for at least six weeks. The sore boobs didn't come along until maybe 6-7 weeks (two weeks after my missed period).

I knew something was wrong when I was trying to do a 16 mile run and at mile 7, my heart rate was crazy high. I didn't feel right at all. From the get-go, my heart rate went up. Now, in all objectivity, that could have been due to low blood sugar, but I had NEVER FELT LIKE THAT BEFORE in all of my two decades worth of running.

Oh yeah I had the stuffy nose too. It went away for a while, but it's back with a vengence.

"Pregnancy stresses your heart and circulatory system. During pregnancy, your blood volume increases by 40 percent to 50 percent to nourish your growing baby. The amount of blood your heart pumps each minute increases by 30 percent to 50 percent. Your heart rate increases as well. All of these changes cause your heart to work harder." - link removed

Wow, I also read in What to Expect When Your Expecting that the stuffy nose is a major issue later in pregnancy. It's so funny how nasal pregnant women sound, isn't it?

FUNNY! Do you have the operator's voice?

Thanks for the info on blood volume, makes sense to me.