Sharp painful headache ...

Guys, Im alittle scared for my health at the moment.

Im getting really sharp headaches, they come and go. Im waiting til my doctor comes from holidays so I can see her, however in the meantime I need to drive 40 mins to uni, do you think its safe?? What should I take?

Im scared, what if I have a tumour or cancer or something!? Its probably my fault for being sick because I stress too much!

Are you prone to migraines? If you are find out your triggers and cut back on them. Back a few months ago I had those sharp shooting pains - they feel like someone stabbing you in the brain with a long needle...I went to the doctor and was finally diagnosed with Migraines...I've had headaches all my life but the sharp pains started recently. After I figured out what my triggers were (ice cream and caffine - mainly caffine) I cut all of it out of my diet and I've only had 1 headache in 2 months...it was due to pressure from the weather changing.

So yeah - find out your triggers and hopefully you're doc will also give you a prescription for Immitrex - the stuff works wonders but it knocks me out

Back a few months ago I had those sharp shooting pains - they feel like someone stabbing you in the brain with a long needle...I went to the doctor and was finally diagnosed with Migraines...I've had headaches all my life but the sharp pains started recently

Thats exactly how I feel!!

Ive always had haedaches, but the sharp pains just started recently.

Thanks guys, I was worried about having a tumor or something.

I appricate your replys

Yeah I was worried about having an aneurism (sp?) but seriously...pains like that along with headaches are caused when the blood capillaries in your brain constrict...Immitrex and other headache medicines reduce the constriction and help make them their normal size again...the constriction is what causes the pain. My sharp shooting pains only lasted a second or two but man it felt seriously like a big old needle stabbing me and I'd almost black out for that second or two.

The only reason normal medicines never worked for me - like Excedrine was because caffine was the main source of my headaches to begin with...and most headache meds contain caffine!

Good luck to ya solving your problem!

There are headaches that are referred to as either 'cluster', or 'ice pick' headaches, (yes, because it feels like you're getting stabbed in the head with an ice pick). So this doesn't necessarily mean a medical emergency. Probably would be a good idea to get checked out just for peace of mind. Something else that can cause these could be a nerve problem.