am i in the wrong?

ok so i was talking on my cell phone in the family room. my mom calls my room phone asking for help carying stuff in. i dont hear my phone ring because im UPSTAIRS in the family room. so my mom carries the stuff in and starts yelling at me and being a witch. i get off my cell phone and she says "i had to carry the ****en stuff in myself and you didnt help! you let me down as usual!!!!!!!!". so then i got a major attitude with her saying "its not my fault i wasent in my room! im sorry that i was talking on the phone. how dare i talk to my friends. i mean, what an outragous idea!"

am i suppose to apologize because i wasent in my room waiting for a call i didnt know was coming?

i mean i guess i should apoligze for the attitude but then again shes the one who got witchy with me first.

Well obviously you couldn't help the fact that you didn't hear your phone ring. And your mom could have been more understanding.

I think you could still apologize though. Just say something like "I'm sorry I didn't help you carry stuff in mom, next time you should come in and get me just in case I don't hear you call."

I mean, I don't think you are in the wrong, but it will just show that you really do care about helping your mom..

Two wrongs don't make a right. By simply apologizing that you were unaware that she needed help and asking her if there was anything you could do to help her further, you would have not only kept your blood pressure down, but made her feel like a real ***** for acting like a crazed lunatic!!! You win both ways when you "kill them with kindness"! Try it sometime, you will laugh so hard to yourself when her mouth drops open because she isn't expecting it at all!! I promise!!!

the thing is, i did apoligze sincerely. until she said "you let me down....as usual!" and that just *issed me off. she has never said that to my brother who had 3 dwi's and went to jail on the fourth. she never said that to my sister who is always a crabby *** and went to jail when she was younger. and i have never let her down like they have.

our relationship is pretty good i guess. i mean, we have our argument, most of which are "my fault" so i apologize even tho i dont think it is my fault. i dont do "good enough" in school, like i'll try really really hard in math and science and still get a low B, high C, but not good enough. i dont wear the clothes she wants me to wear, i dont listen to the music she wants me to. we get along pretty good most of the time tho.

I remember being your age and having pointless arguments with my parents. I think that it's something that most, if not all, teenagers go through at some point in their life.

You just have to understand that your mom is probably just stressed a lot of the time and of course it's not right, but she just lets it out through arguments.

But of course, 16 is not exactly the most pleasant age either and you have a lot of stress on you as well.

I really think that you and your mom should talk. You should both try to understand each other and where each other is coming from. I think that alone will help strengthen your relationship and the situation.

I think I would have said something like this:

"Mom, I'm sorry that I didn't hear you calling me. I was on the phone at the time you called up. I would have definitely helped if I heard you. It really hurts me that you think I am a disappointment, though. Can we talk about it?"

Chances are she is tired and angry about something else, and yes, should shouldn't have cursed at you and yelled.... but you didn't really help the situation either by yelling back at her and giving her an attitude.

If you had approached her as above, I wonder if the outcome would have been different? Less explosive? What do you think?

I think I would have said something like this:

"Mom, I'm sorry that I didn't hear you calling me. I was on the phone at the time you called up. I would have definitely helped if I heard you. It really hurts me that you think I am a disappointment, though. Can we talk about it?"

Chances are she is tired and angry about something else, and yes, should shouldn't have cursed at you and yelled.... but you didn't really help the situation either by yelling back at her and giving her an attitude.

If you had approached her as above, I wonder if the outcome would have been different? Less explosive? What do you think?

i tried the above at first. and she shot me down. so i got defenseive and an attitude.

You mom's response is like mine. Ok, mine knocked holes into my head too.

Lots of people are like that. There is one saying like "everyone rises to the level of ones incompetence", meaning that most adults are overburdened and unable to control their lives. The kids and the dog suffer besides themselves of course. Your mom is unhappy and stressed out and what not.

Most people are reactive instead of proactive. She could organize things, leave shopping in the car.

Your mom is OK and needs help, If she could relax a little, all your lives would be a little better again.

I know that you are her doormat right now but please try something.

What about manage yourself proactively how to help her. You know what help she needs and when. Write it down, print it out if you can, tell her you want to take care of her and help her.

As ever, patience and persistence and do not expect too much, and may you be surprised by the results.

my mom is supporting my 2 oldest sister financialy. she gives my second oldest sister about 2-3 hundred a month for house payment and child care (since her bf doesnt have enough money to pay child support) and she buys my oldest sisters children clothes and other supplies- which is about 100 a month. she pays for my brothers car insurance and phone bills every month. PLUS she worries about my sisters and my brother- my brother is a major dumb***. he has 3 or 4 DWI's and went to jail. he drinks and drives. idiot. and she worries about her grand children. my mom and dad fight almost everyday. she has to constently nag him about taking his medication and viatmins and eating healthy.