omg, cant find a job that pays!

i made a bad decision to leave my job of 10 years in april of this year. took out all my retirement, spent it and am now searching desperately for a new job. trouble is I CANT EVEN GET CALL BACKS! i'm stumped. i dont even know why i'm posting here... i should be job searching. i guess im hoping there's a lil job fairy around here somewhere with my new job??? that would be in dallas, irving, grapevine, coppell, or maybe lewisville texas... making at least $45k doing ANY office work....customer service, purchasing, accounting, anything! i did it all at my last job.

or maybe i'm just venting. bleh.

i havent waitressed since HS! if i could lose 30 more pounds quickly i could work over at Hooters...lol... but not really my thing. i guess i havent truly considered doing that....seems you work really hard but have great potential for crappy tips. seeing how the economy isnt so great right now. i'd be in tears if i worked a hard day and came home w/$20-$30 in my pocket. and that really wudnt pay the bills!!!

Wow, I been in the restaurant industry for nearly 10 years and I was able to make a very good living but of course, at one point I was living with my parents and with my ex, so I had the joint income but even still, I was bringing in more than 20-30 dollars a shift. True you hustle, but the work is steady and the cash flow can be good.

I have to agree the job market is very very brutal right now. I just moved to Colorado from Connecticut a week ago and I am looking for work in my field but managed to find strady werk serving at the moment and I am on my own now.

I wish you a lot of luck in your job search. I know it gets discouraging but keep looking.

(((hugs)))

While you're out looking for jobs, I would try a temp agency. They usually offer plenty of office opportunities with fairly good hourly wages (at least the ones in my area do), so that can help tide you over until you strike gold. Also, once they set you up with an office job (sure, it will be menial, but still), it could give you an opportunity to work from within...connections, networking and all...

Well, I worked at The Ground Round and Applebee's. I made between $50 and $100, sometimes more serving at the Ground Round. It depended on what section I was in and how busy I was.

Applebee's I was only a bartender and made significantly more money. Ranging between $90-$200 a shift. Sometimes more. I was bringing home close to $300-$400 a week while working at Applebee's. I put myself through school, bought a new car among other things while bartending/waitressing. But then again, I was at my parents' home and had a joint income with my recent ex. So, I am sure that played a big factor.

I was bringing in more than 20-30 dollars a shift.

$20-30? How long were the shifts? Sorry, just curious, because that seems very low for even a 5-hour shift. I also wasn't sure whether you meant just in tips. I had to ask ... because there's no way I could make ends meet on $30 a day (hell, these days, even $30 an hour isn't enough, lol).

Robin - do you have any acquaintances/ friends/ family who could hook you up with anything temporary? Until you find something permanent?

Hey Robin!

I have great results with this website...

link removed

Of course, I used the Colorado area but I put the link for Dallas. Do you have a resume and cover letter put together? If not, hop to it! I can help you put one together if you like. Also, Google has great info on how to ace interviews, write resumes, and cover letters. Time to get yourself out there.