How to cheer someone up?

Whatever they want to talk about, just listen.

If you really want them to feel good, talk about doing things they like, that won't remind them of what's got them down, or talk about fun thigns they did when they were younger.

Depends on the person. Is this a hypothetical question, or are you thinking of cheering up a friend/someone who was recently in an accident?

Some people like jokes, to be distracted, smiles all around.

Some like someone to listen.

Some don't want to be cheered up at all.

So go by the person. Act normal. At least, that's my advice.

how would you listen to them if you don't have anything to say? Like sometimes my friends make talk about girl problems or something, but I have no clue what to say back to them (this is on instant messenger by the way). I feel bad because then I feel like they may think I'm not listening even though I'm readng everything they write.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was looking for some cheer up for myself and my wife after we had a terrible Friday evening....misunderstandings and arguments. I was surfing around found some material to get some laughs at this website "my cheer engine" and I send my wife an ecard to tell her how lucky I am to have her around, and a gift basket (Paris Gift basket) with her favourite cookies, chocolates and a ton of goodies, which she received the next week. It did cost me a small fortune...but hey, we are friends again!

Cheered up and having fun!