Feel Guilty For Breaking Up With Boyfriend

I recently broke up with my boyfriend of two and a half years.

As much as it hurt, I had to do it, because him and the relationship were weighing me down. Even after seeking professional help I was told that I had to be strong and break it off with him, because in the long run that is what would be right for me.

But the thing is, he's incredibly heartbroken, and I can't help but feeling terribly guilty and bad for breaking his heart. I can sense that I might go back to him because I feel so sorry for him. It really hurts me to see him so heartbroken. I know I just need to be strong and move on but I can't.

I don't know what to do.

you did the right thing and as long as you keep distance between you two by not communicating for awhile should really help. Yes both of you are heartbroken but it is something 99% of the people in the world have to go through. If you go back to him think about the next time you have to breakup with him. You don't want you and your ex to be in pain 2 times or 3 times do you? Once is enough.

Sometimes that which seems most cruel, is actually the most loving thing you can do. If you don't feel this young man is right for you, then the kind thing is to let him go so that he can heal his heart and one day pursue a relationship with someone who will truly love him.

If you're tempted to get back together for the wrong reasons, remember however much he's hurting now will be much worse when you leave him again. Please don't do it.

Hi Katelouise,

I dont know if this is your first serious relationship or not, but its hard, I know. I wont say I know exactly how you feel, but I broke up with my 4 year gf last week. She had put me through the wringer last year and then we tried to get back together and after 6 pretty good months, I was having trouble moving along on the commitment scale, which upset her. Trust is hard to repair, and so is the damage from a breakup, and its hard to really be free of a fear they wont do it again once you break up once.

That being said, listen to your heart, and challenge it with your mind and gut. You'll do the right thing, and if not, you'll make it right and we can always be here to listen.