mutual stand-off or is he just not interested?

Hey guys, i've posted quite a lot on here since splitting with my ex almost a year ago. Its been a tough tough year but also one in which i feel ive grown and changed for the better.

In this last year i have had a very difficult relationship with my ex - ranging from intially taking it extremely badly (he cheated on me) calling him all the time, crying etc! to absolute no contact. I know feel ready to handle a friendship of sorts, or at least that i owe it to myself to try....we went out for 4 years and i cant deny that i care about him still.

We have both been away a lot in the last few months and havent had any contact. i last saw him in february and since then theres been just a few text messages. We are both now in our home town - its a small place and i am very likely to bump into him. My question is whether i should contact him as i would quite like to speak to him....or whether i should try to be patient and see if i bump into him. I know it will hurt if he chooses not to reply to me and i will then feel an idiot if i do see him. i guess im answering my own question here arent i! if i am not prepared for him to ignore me i shouldnt take the chance!

last time we spoke he said it would be good to meet up when we;re both home - yet he hasnt contacted me - could he be waiting for me to make the move? or just not interested?? is there anyway i can find this out without looking silly myself? sorry this is bit rambling, getting it off my chest! im thinking about him a lot and its driving me crazy! thanks x