Should fame and fashion carry warning labels?

Cigarettes and alcohol carry warning labels. Medications are controlled. Most drugs are illegal in most jurisdictions. Driving a car mandates a license.

But we all seem to be influenced by "unlimited" exposure to fame and fashion.

This exposure creates cravings beyound consumption and sometimes creates desire for one to be what one is unable to be, leading to "chronic" dissatisfaction and eventually to depression.

For example, those reading eNotalone will be well aware of many young women breaking their bodies by starving in order to look like a model. This and the response to my post from yesterday Accept Your Body and Learn to Have a Positive Self Image makes me wonder whether fashion statements should carry prominent warning labels similar to Cigarettes, etc and whether our kids should be better prepared by schools and parents to deal with this exposure.

I wonder also how we could make the public and political representatives aware of the need to look into this situation which seems to be a big health hazard like smoking.

What are you opinions and ideas?

That's a very interesting point of view on the whole issue of self image. As it is I believe if the Parent has done his/her job properly, and been attentive to their childrens needs, then the person shouldn't be overly affected by things like this.

That being said, even the best of us can fall under bad influences. But if you begin doing things to bring this to light - ad capaigns, public awareness ect... - people will begin taking a look at themselves, and what they see might make them more depressed.

This is a real psychological thing...

Great point. So many wish to be things for the wrong reasons. Specifically, there are so many actors who chase that dream not for the love of the theater, but to be a star like so-and-so.

But, then, some do it for those reasons and discover the love of acting. A (very) few even succeed. And every one who has succeeded has had a role model.

So I think that it's not the fame and fortune that are to blame, it's what society gives fame and fortune to. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the press just totally ignored Tom Cruise? Wouldn't it be wonderful if the news showed the story of a schoolteacher who saved a kid's life instead?

It's in the values of what's really important. A fine actor of great talent deserves fame and fortune for developing their talent and skill. Not for their stupid private pecadillos, foibles and so forth. And not for just the way they look.

I have to disagree with you. On the following reasons. One everyone knows fame and fashion cannot buy happiness. A lot of people are unhappy even when they do get something new. My friend will constantly go out and buy stuff to make her happy and she is still unhappy. Two, we do not know if the actors or actressess are in the movies because they want the money or because they just enjoy acting and the money is extra to them. Kate Winslet said that whenever she looks for a new acting job she looks for one that is a challenge and will make her love her acting job more than before.(link removed) Three actors and actressess do not get that much money from their jobs. They have taxes to pay. Then comes the agent fees and the public relations fees. So to achieve their ideal status they will back a product and let the product company use them is advertising.(The Tonight Show with Jay Leno interview with Hilary Swank)

The above are the reasons I disagree with you.

Age...perhaps, 11 or 12 I noticed I started to be really unhappy. Then again, I wasn't known for being a very happy kid!

I was never really into pop. culture as a kid, I'm not sure the media had a particular impact on me.

As a teenager, I went out ONCE socially between the ages of 13 and 16. FACT. That's how different and isolated I was.

No wonder I loathe myself. Gneeesh!!

Age...perhaps, 11 or 12 I noticed I started to be really unhappy. Then again, I wasn't known for being a very happy kid!

I was never really into pop. culture as a kid, I'm not sure the media had a particular impact on me.

As a teenager, I went out ONCE socially between the ages of 13 and 16. FACT. That's how different and isolated I was.

No wonder I loathe myself. Gneeesh!!

Likewise, I had no fun until emigrating age 23... But I caught up fast and then overdid it.

I was a little bothered about age 12 or so for being an Endomorph, desiring to be mesomorph when reading those youth magazines. I also thought my **** too small, never starved myself though.

On hindsight: All worries are useless.

I was a little bothered about age 12 or so for being an Endomorph, desiring to be mesomorph when reading those youth magazines. I also thought my **** too small, never starved myself though.

I'm the opposite. I am still thin to this day(even though I run the treadmill and do the eliptical machines at the gym), but I'm cool with it now.

However, getting bigger was an obsession. But I learned to live with being slim when my personal trainer told me that my body type would always be pretty lean.

I think the moral of my little diatribe is that Fashion and fame shouldn't carry warning labels. We should all be encouraged to be happy with ourselves.

If self love became the precedent then we could put the fashion and beauty regime industry out of business.