Nursing where you are (?)

Hi, guys, im soon to be graduating as a nurse and was wondering if you could tell me the average salaries, paid to nurses and midwives where you live.

Im just curious really, as i am thinking of getting a degree in midwifery and would also like to work around the world.

Here in England starting salary is about £17,500 - £18,000!!! (NHS falling apart an all that) Not good.

Hi there,

I am not a nurse but I have two very close friends whom are LPNs (Licensed Nurses Practioners) and they make a very good living. As you can see, we live in the states. I believe they make around $23-25 an hour and get paid time and half for holidays. And they also received sign on bonuses. I am not sure how it is in the UK but nurses here in the states are in short supply, high in demand so they get paid very well, especially when they work in a convelesant (nursing) home.

Opps, my bad. Thank goodness I am not a nurse! LOL Yes, my friends did go through a techinical training school for 15 months, passed their boards, and theypass meds at the nursing home they work at. Either way, they make a great living and get a great deal of satisfaction through their line of work.

Hi, guys, im soon to be graduating as a nurse and was wondering if you could tell me the average salaries, paid to nurses and midwives where you live.

Im just curious really, as i am thinking of getting a degree in midwifery and would also like to work around the world.

Here in England starting salary is about £17,500 - £18,000!!! (NHS falling apart an all that) Not good.

I dunno but I lived with a nurse in Edinburgh and I think Britains rates were pretty good but she worked through an agency so I dont know what the rate of pay difference is. Have you thought about using your degree to travel? Nurses are in demand in almost every western country. You can get a working holiday visa and work in another country, and with a nursing degree you will have no problems. One girl I met in Australia worked as a fly-in nurse. She would get calls to fly into remote communities in the outback. She sounded like she saw alot and had a great time. Good for resume experience as well.

Hi There,

I am in nursing school in the northeastern U.S. (New England) right now and will be graduating in December. I also work as a CNA at two major hospitals and also know alot of nurses there and as have quite a few nurse friends from other areas.

For us, the median starting salary for an RN is 52,000$ per year, and it goes up depending on what sub-specialty you are in, what hospital you choose to work at, if you work for an agency they tend to pay more. and years of experience. It's a very good living and also a very rewarding profession.

Thank you, i am considering working in the states as i have family in New York. But the way the NHS is going i dont think i will want to come back!!

I would like to work around the world though, i have no children as yet so why not right. I have 9 months left and dont even think i will be able to get a job, because of all the job cuts here, but we will see.

Its interesting though, I know i made the right choice - career wise, but im just thinking of the next step.

If you think you will have trouble finding a job there, definitely come over the the U.S. We are having a tremendous nursing shortage and it is projected to increase over the next ten years or so. As a result, hospitals and institutions are clamoring to hire new grad. RNs and willing to pay top dollar for them. It couldn't be a better time to get into nursing here.

There are also some excellent opportunities for traveling nurse positions here as well. You can be offered many different locations and the agency will let you pick where you go, and often times in addition to a good salary, the agency will pay for your housing.

You would likely have to re-take your boards over here though, because you will need to be re- lisensed in the state where you practice. It's worth looking into if you are serious.

Thats really good! But i know you guys in the states really work for your money - meaning around the clock. Wouls you say this is true?

Whats the typical shift pattern or average length of working day. Ours is 8, but i have heard nurses work, like 12 hour shifts 4, days on and 4 days off.

When i was visiting on the day i was leaving, my aunts friend was working her 9th 12 hour day in a row!! Is this normal or is it by choice?

Nurses here can choose to work 12 hour days or 8 hour days. If you work a 12 hour day, you can work 3 days a week, and at 36 hours, be paid for 40 with full benefits and 4 days off per week. Some nurses like that because they have children, or just like to have all that time off.

The long hours used to be mandated, but that is becoming more and more obsolete as new legislature is being passed to protect the patient to nurse ratio and the hours we work.

That is part of why our nursing shortage began- but it really is improving and becoming a hot field here.image removed

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in school to be a LPN. I'll graduate in Dec 2006. Afterwards, I plan on getting my Masters to become a Nurse Anethestist. We make pretty decent money here in Maryland. At least $20 to start in a nursing home. Less in a hospital. But hospitals tend to pay for RN school and have good benefits. I guess it depends on what you like to work with and need financially.