It's funny how often I think about relationships as a way to tell myself that I'm missing out on something special by being single. Us single people wonder if we are normal for not having a b/f or g/f, but to be honest with myself, I feel as though I spend too much time thinking about my own wants then actually taking care of me!

Selfish, selfish, selfish...how hard it is to think of myself in terms of the big picture, meaning what I can do for the people around me instead of when a relationship will be given to me.

Why put myself in a relationship when I'm really not all that mature to handle one since I'm constantly thinking of my own needs? And then to become more vulnerable with my feelings, opening up so much to someone else that I forget who I am deep inside just to set my own selfish feelings of lonliness aside for only a short time.

What is even more interesting to think about is when I am in a relationship I tend to think more about the other person's needs rather than my own, but I think that it comes down to the fact that I try to be so giving because I want so much in return. Love just doesn't work that way...

I've been single long enough to forget a lot of what a relationship has to offer and so a part of me wants so much to rediscover it! And for that reason I often feel sorry for myself for not having the chance to relive the experience. I must admit it is difficult to focus my thoughts away from me! How can I get out of this self pity so that someday I may truly experience to the benefits of sharing my life with someone else and give love without expecting anything in return?

Whats wrong with thinking about yourself?

If you want to take your mind off of yourself try volunteering and helping other people maybe?

And don't forget there is nothing wrong with being single!

Just sit back, relax and enjoy what life has to offer you. Take it all in and love will find its way to you.

I actually volunteer, work, go to school and am involved in a sorority.

The free time that I do have I love to sit home and do absolutely nothing or just hang out with friends. When I don't do anything productive I tend to dwell on my thoughts very easily (and yes even at school, work, when I'm driving, etc). It's hard to just let go when I'm so used to focusing on myself. I really don't know how to explain it, but I will say that my mom told me that I tend to think too much about myself and a lot of what I do tends to reflect on myself and how I want others to view me. This is true...

Again whats wrong with being lost in your own thoughts? I spend the majority of my day in my head and I see nothing wrong with that.

Everyone thinks about themselves a hell of a lot. Its only natural to think about yourself quite a bit, you do live with yourself most of the time right?

As for the projecting yourself as how you want to be seen by others bit. Just try being yourself, don't worry what other people think about you. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the hell other people think about you, just what you think of yourself.

I can't remember who said this, or the quote exactly but it went something like

A bad conversationalist is someone who talks about themselves

A good conversationalist is someone who talks about an idea

A great conversationalist is someone who talks about you.