In Uni, not sure what to do...

I'm almost finished my first year at university (just exams now) and I'm not sure I've made the right choice.

In high school I was always brought up to think that you must go to uni or else you would end up working in a minimum wage job your whole life. I worked hard and got good grades. I never really thought about what I wanted to work as, but I knew I was going to go to uni.

I ended up picking product design. I've been feeling lost lately and bored with life. I haven't done any studying for my exams and I don't feel worried about them at all. I don't care anymore. I don't want to be a product designer. I don't want a boring office job. I want to do something exiting. I want to contribute to society more.

I was thinking about being a pilot as it seems like a really cool job. I researched it a bit and it costs loads of money, which I can't afford. I could join the RAF but I don't know how comfortable I would feel about being sent to war.

I'm looking for some ideas here, what other jobs are out there?

I know I should try and get my degree as it opens more options but there isn't any point in going to uni if I want to do something different. In school I was always good at maths and physics. I was in all the top classes and I thought that because I was good at these things then I should stick at them and get a job that involves them. Now I'm bored with them.

I need help with this. I need to know where my life is going. Everything feels boring and unexciting because I don't know what I'm doing with my life. I think the problem might be that I don't know what kind of lifestyle I want to have

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

eviljedi

Is there something else at school you could study that might interest you? I changed my 2nd major. you're so early in your college career that you can change easily most likely (depending on the school). You might try taking some summer classes or some other classes in the fall that sound interesting to see what you like.

Even if you're good at something, if you dont' like it then you shouldn't have to do that for the rest of your life. Find out what you are passionate about in school and follow that. Take some different classes and see what interests you most... You might be surprised.

Have you given thought to taking time off to think things through a little more? I know a lot (I thought most?) in the UK do take a gap year. I went to university not knowing what I wanted to do, and took a year off after my first year to do some travelling and get my head clear. If you want to travel that is a good way to get to know yourself and what you truly want to do. Don't feel bad about not knowing what you want at your age, very few people I know stuck to exactly the program they started with in university.

I'm one of the rare ones who actually stick with the same program all the way through college. My advice is to first figure out what you don't want to do. Then from the remaining list, do some heavy thinking. Maybe go to school and take a couple of different classes from different fields to get a feel for what you want to do. You don't necessarily have to choose a major your first or even second year of college. A lot of people are undeclared until after the first or second year. Definitely a normal thing, so don't worry. Just try and spend some time figuring out what you really want to do.

Heres my take on this

Product design can be ok, best bet is go see the head of couse and have a chat.

You could take a year out get your head in a good place,

also there a some cool MA,s MSc's around that you could go to next.

Best way to fly a plane is the RAF you could ask them if a BA in product design will do.

This summer do BUNA Camp go to the USA see how that feels.

O if its Stock on Trent Uni jump ship and try to get down London (only joking)

Smoke on Stench is not that bad.