Just went to the hospital after 3 days of diarrhea. First two days it was only every 2-3 hours. Now its 1 or 2 times per hour. They did x-rays, blood tests, and a stool sample. Had 2 IV's for dehydration. They gave me some pills to take 8 times a day. How long does this take to go away? What can be done to retain more fluids? How long to wait until I see another doctor? Thanks.

When did they say to follow up when you went to the hospital? When will the test results come back?

I'm afraid it's really impossible for us to tell you how long it will take to go away when the test results indicating what you've got haven't come back. If you have questions regarding things, talk to the doctor or discharge nurse at the hospital and they should be able to clarify things.

You should wait for the tests to come back. The most important thing you can do is try to stay hydrated. If you don't, you can die from this. Any liquidy food will have substantial water in it. It might be good to eat things high in fiber to try to delay transit time and try to delay fluid loss, as well.

Hope you feel better soon.

I don't think any of us can give you better advice than doctors. I have felt pretty sick the last week and maybe it is just going around. Hang in there and listen to the doctors or get another opinion. No one here can give you the right advice. Take care.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I know to go see a GP in a day or two, I was just wondering a few ways to stay hydrated, or reduce the nausea with some kind of "home remedy". My pills don't seem to be working that well.

is there any way you could have been infected with hiv recently? that would explain why no results show up in the tests yet.

What I meant was that they examined everything and nothing was out of place. I suppose there's a .0000001% chance that I contracted HIV. I've never been in a position to get infected,but anything's possible.

Hopefully you will feel better soon. Sometimes intestinal viruses can be a pain in the butt, and can take several days to get over.

The doctors sometimes recommend the B.R.A.T. diet when having stomach and intestinal disturbances. BANANAS .RICE. APPLESAUCE .AND TOAST.= The BRAT.

Hope all goes well and you are better soon.

Wow, I have never heard of the BRAT diet. I used to always have bad stomach pains and went to doctors for years and they never found the cause. I did read that Bananas are great for things like stress and depression. Not to change the subject, but I recently read that almonds are very healthy for you, but maybe not for that situation. Tyler711, I have found that doctors miss things quite frequently. If you situation persists, then try a new doctor. Also, I am guessing the Pedialite might be good for your dehydration. Three days is pretty bad. Keep us posted and if things do not get better, then see another doctor. I do remember about 7 years ago where I was in pretty bad shape for 7 days. I think it was a 7 day stomach flu. I actually had to work and it was a nightmare. lol