This is the most pathetic thing ever. I've been applying for a job for almost a year and a half and I can't find a place that will hire me. I'd be willing to get anything, fast food, janitor, anything. I don't understand why I can't find something though.

I must have filled out 200 applications, not including all the online ones, yet I've gotten only four interviews. Two of the interviews the people there blew me off and told me there was no interview scheduled, and when I called the managers who set up the interviews said that I blew them off and didn't show up. For the other two interviews I showered before hand, dressed nice in button down shirts and a tie, arrived early, had good answers to all the questions, I'm available to work everyday of the week, with very flexible hours, have previous work experience, etc....

I've really begun to think i'll never get hired. I see my friends and other people at my school get jobs easily, and even switch from job to job like it's nothing. I'm going to have to skip going to college (at least for the first year after high shcool) but since I can't get a job I'll just be at my parents house all day. AARGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Yeah it's tough to get a job usually. Even if you have some experience under your belt. Employers are typically very picky about who they should choose. Often, things happen at their business and all of the sudden they aren't looking for anyone anymore. Or they are but it may be a very slow process as it is for most larger companies. One time I didn't get a call back until a month later. So have patience. Maybe something will come up.

Something you should always do is to call them up once or twice a week and show them your continued interest in the position. It lets them know that you are still available and that you are fresh on their mind when sorting through applications. I got a job by continously calling them like that one time.

The funny thing is, now that I have found an internship, I have been offered four jobs. Of course I had to turn them all down. It's funny how whenever we got what we want in life, we are all of the sudden showered with tons of that same thing like as though it was the after-effects of getting the first thing. Seems to be the same with women. When you got a woman, tons of women now want you.

Good luck! And keep applying if you can. And try to fill out more than just your typical information on the application. Set yourself apart from other applicants. You are given this chance when answering open-ended questions.

It is tough looking for a job. Looking for a job is a job! A rough one.

Perhaps its time to re-evaluate your approach. You know what? 200 applications in a year and a half really isn't very much. Many, many people are in your position. You will get through with persistence and some creativity.

There is a book called "What colour is your parachute?". I highly recommend reading it and working it. It saved me a tonne of exasperation. I know what it is like to be in your position. You should be able to find it at a library if you can't afford to buy it, but it's worth buying IMO.

There are so many approaches and tips to finding a job. The biggest thing is to stay positive and persistent, persistent, persistent.

Good luck. Hope everything works out.

It was hard for me at first also. The BEST thing you can do is not just fill out an application, but ask to speak with a manager. Talk to the manager/owner, show intrest, ask him questions about the job, details, pay, etc.. Speak as though your shopping for a job and that your labor is very valuble. Dont come off as desparate. Sometimes employers will see that your not just another teen looking for a job. Some will ask for your name and phone number or tell you to give the app to them personally.

Employers are looking for motivated people with a personality they can get along with. Show them that you are motivated to help thier company.

You would not believe how many times ive been offered a job by just showing intrest in the work at hand, instead of saying "got a job application?"

Oh and when you get the job, stay for atleast a year, that looks good to future employers.

You are still in highschool? Do you go a full day to school?

You might check to see if your school offers any career counseling/has any placement programs. I know that we sometimes recruit from highschools for students to work in the summer.

Have you tried temp agencies? Since its almost summer and school is almost out, it may be a way to get a job.

ughhh its harddd. and it feels so awkward going up to managers and stuff. but yeah as everyone said it is tough. but as you said i see so many very unqualified, unimpressive people jump job to job. i dont understand it eitehr. to be quite frank, MOST of the kids working during highschool have low averages or easy courses or a combination of both. high school is not what it used to be and people dont understand this at all. they think they used to do it so its easy but it really isnt. it takes a lot of time. just do what you've been doing and keep your hopes up i know its HARD but try. good luck

hey there,

Dont feel too bad..I have the exact same problem as you. I've been looking for a job for nearly a year now and I've yet to even get a few interviews. I've even applied at fast food restaurants and places like target and havnt gotten hired yet. It's a really long process and It's really hard when you have little to no experience. I guess you just have to keep at it and not give up...Keep a postitive attitude and hopefully it'll shine through when your on an interview . Good luck, I hope you can find a job...

Thanks for the support everyone, it is much appreciated.

I usually call back a few days after I turn in the application and it's the same thing over and over, they're never hiring but are going to be in a couple of weeks, which is never true, they're just covering themselves in case someone decides to quit I guess. That is a good idea to speak with the manager when you walk in though.

Oh yeah when I said 200 applications I meant this year alone (but that is only a rough estimate) Itsallgrand I'll see if I can find that book.

HappyDaisy - I am in high school, but I get out everyother day by 11 am and the other days at 1 pm. Those are good ideas, I'll check my school tomorrow.

troublegal05 sorry your in this position too. its hard to keep positive about it, someone told me it's all about timing, applying at the right time can help out so keep your eyes open.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try doing volunteer work to beef up your resume. The bulletin in my school is mostly useless stuff, but I rummage through things and have found acouple applications and useful things.

I looked up that book online at my cities library page, and someone hasn't returned it on time. I think it's sad that someone looking for work now has to pay those fines.

Hi NightVision,

I am not going to say that I am the best at getting a job, but I do very well in interviews and It would make me happy to help you. I am 37 and know how to get a job. If you want my help then I will help. Here is the question? Don't complain about your hardship unless you are will to take some help. I will teach you how to get a job and it is no problem. I hate people that just complain. If you are serious, then I will teach you how to make it happen. e-mail my address and I will help you. If I can't get you a job, then you have things we have to work on. If you are willing to work, then I will help you. I hope you don't contact me because you will prove all of these weak blank mother blankers don't have the blanks to step up. Brink it on and I will help you. I think you may be a blank a@@ little beeeeeeee88ch.

Caldus,

I laugh at myself sometimes. I read what I wrote and could not believe I said that. Sometimes I get on here drunk and get either too passionate or just stupid. I did talk to Nightvision through pm and did give some caring advise. He sounds like a really good guy and I definitely want to help him and will do my best to give good advice. I guess this site is about tolerance. 90% of the time I am very respectful and say things that are relevant and the other 10% I am just out there. lol Thanks for calling me out and being respectful about it.

Hi NightVision,

You and I have talked in private, but I realized what I said on this post did not sound very caring. You took the initiative to contact me and that says a lot about you. Everyone on here gave great advice and I want to apologize for being a bit harsh. I had been drinking and just went on a tangent. Itsallgrand mentioned a great book. I started reading it and it was very inspirational. I have a very low attention span when it comes to reading so I did not finish it. lol I realized that most of the people on here are under 27 and that is a tough age to get a job. I think that it is important to think out of the box. Do something that will separate you from the rest that will get you an interview. Do some research on the company. I find that if you go to a website, you can read the press releases and get a lot of information. They usually mention something significant about the company and usually a VP or someone high up is quoted. I would recommend calling one of those people and leaving a compelling and thought out message and I am sure they will have someone under them contact you. You may even want to apply for an internship. There may be no money, but you can usually work your way up in an orginization. Once you are in and you demonstrate competence, then you can grow with the company. I will talk to you more offline and maybe we can tweak your resume or come up with ideas on how to open the door. The first challenge is to get the interview and the second one is to know what to say. I have a feeling you will get a job soon because you sound very tenacious and that is so important.

ocrob

Don't worry I took no offense, I am a pretty easy going guy and didn't feel you were being harsh or anything, in fact your a very helpful person and I appreciate the advice.

Update:

Anyway I got a message from someone I interviewed with a long time ago, in the message they said they had lost my number but finally found it and I need to call them tomorrow. That seems promising, It's not like they'd go through the trouble of finding my number and calling me about a month later to say I didn't get the job. And I'm on the verge of another job because my dad knows the interviewer so that is promising as well.

Anyone else looking, be patient and BE persistent!

Night vision,

I am going to feel very old by saying this, but you seem like a great kid. It seems you have a great attitude and just want a chance to get out there and work. Although work is about getting the paycheck, use everyday as a day to learn something new and use that knowledge to build for your next job. At your age, I would personally only be concerned about making money, but I have learned that the people you work with and their experience can help out so much. I have spent the last few years working for small companies and not being around dynamic people. I have since started a job where I interact with high level people that are amazing. It is awesome how much you can absorb when working around other competant people. I probably did not spell that right, but oh well. lol Keep us posted about your job. Write me anytime and I will help out in anyway that I can.

Robert