Interested or just being friendly?

I am really stumped. I can't work out if a guy I study with likes me. We never have really had much to do with one another before this year. But we have been back at college for a few weeks now and we take two subjects together. Just about every class he has come up to me either in the break to chat or after the class or has sat with me in the class (depending on whether I get there earlier enough). Last week he talked to me after class for over an hour. I received a few calls in the middle of the conversation and apologised for taking them. It would have been a chance for him to leave the conversation, but he waited for me to finish the calls and stayed around to chat. The thing is, this chatting in class/after class has been going on for a few weeks now. He talks to a lot of people. He hasn't asked me out. Is he interested in me or just being friendly?

well you said he talks to a lot of other people,

When he talks to you, see if he talks to you differently than when he talks with others...this sounds stupid, but try to see if he acts any different...personally, when I talk to girls I like (if it's in a friendly manner then no problem), but sometimes I feel like a dumb-bum; in the back of my head I'm telling myself "why do you sound like you're stuttering?" lol....anywho, there are guys who are very smooth talkers and such, so they may be harder to decode....

just keep talking to him and let him know (either explicitely or through subtle signs and hints) that you like him....who knows, he's probably posting in the forum now trying to figure out if you like him

good luck!

p.s. how come it's soo hard to read the opposite sex?

Thanks guys for your responses.

Latest update - he comes and speaks to me again, asks me to check an assignment and we have a general chat. In our next class, he comes and sits with me and we talk. Our conversations are about a lot of different things and we always end up laughing about something. I am really bad at working out when people like other people. So I can't tell if he is just being friendly or not or maybe he just sees me as like a study buddy or he is just a nice person who talks to everyone . I can't quite work him out. This has been going on for a few weeks now and up until then, we had never had much to do with one another. I suppose that makes me think he is interested - but it is negatived by the fact that I think he would have taken action by now if he were interested... well that is what other guys I know would probably do... but then again everyone is different.

That said - he does talk to a lot of people (males and females) but I sense he may be a bit afraid when it comes to approaching girls. So if he is interested in a girl - I think he would take his time. But that said - I am left wanting to believe he is interested. And at the same time - this little crush I kind of have for him grows. At the same time though, there is nothing conclusive and I am a shy girl myself - so I am not one to do the asking out.

What do you guys think?