This thread isn't asking for advice or anything, it is just talking about scars or cuts.

I haven't cut for almost a year, so as you can imagine my cuts have long turned to scars. Although I have kicked the habit, they are there everyday to remind me of what I did. Everytime I see the scars all over my arm, wrist and chest it is like a slap accross the face to me. I am ashamed of them, I hate them, every time I almost forget what I did, there they are, like they are mocking me.

I am obsessed with getting them to go away. I heard somewhere that vitamin E works well at fading scars, so I have been putting any type of lotion, cream etc.. that has vitamin E on about 7 times a day, and that actually is working (very slowly, but working none the less.) Another technique I heard is putting fake tan over them, then when the tan fades the scars fade too.

I guess talk about whatever as long as it has to do with scars or cuts and what you do to hide them, or fade them etc...

In a way they are a badge of honor. I know that may sound weird, but you can look at them and know that you overcame your situation. You can't erase the past, but you can move on. I am happy that you are no longer cutting yourself and I hope the scars do go away. If not, then look at them as something that you have overcome.

use essential oil of lavender (available from health food stores etc) - it's like magic! it heals fresh scars really well and fades older scars + stops them looking red etc. apply neat directly to scars twice daily. i use it whenever i've cut my knuckles boxing and you'd never know!

good luck

Congrats on not cutting!!!!

I'm not a cutter but I've had about 15 operations and vitamin E oil capsules work great, just put a hole in one a couple of times a day and squeeze directly on your scars. If you have some time when your not around anyone or have on long sleeves wrap your scars in gauze to keep the oil in place. Also you can use Vitamin K cream or creams made for scars.

• 2 weeks later...

i have found that mederma works great...but you have to use it for at least 2 months @ 3-4 times a day before you see a major lightening, and then in about 4-6 months the scars are almost gone. It is very expensive tho...well it is to me lol it is about 18 bucks a tube. There is a store brand at CVS that the pharmacisist told me works the same...and of course it does. I use it now...it is just labeled scargel and is right beside the Mederma, its only $7 a tube. Reading off the back of the tube the ingredients are:

water, glyceryl, polymethacrylate and propylene glycol, allium cepa (onion) blub extract, polysorbate 20, and chlorphenesin and glycerin, and methylparaben and benzoic acid, sodium carbomer, aloe barbadensis gel, juglans regia (walnut) shell extract, allantoin, chamomile extract, disodium edta, frangrance, phytonadione (Vitamin K)

thats it, word for word lol

hope this helps...I really recommend you run out and get some now, and keep to it, cause like i said, it takes a good 2 months before you see the scars start becoming smoother, and fading away.

• 3 weeks later...

Scars do fade with a lot of time. When I was at my peak I was about 17 years old. Those scars are still there yes but they are very white and took a few years to fade like that. Really you wouldn't knotice them unless you were looking. Maybe some of the larger ones you would see but they are old. You can't change the past and if they were that deep it's unlikely they will compleatly fade.

I just see them as a reminder of what not to do when I'm down. But they do fade emensly over the years so don't worry you won't be stuck with huge great red lines all over you forever.

Take care,

~S.