Am I being played?

lonelyfish

OK, so had three dates with this new guy I'm seeing. He seemed very sweet and sincere - we have a lot in common and great chemistry. We opened up that last date to each other that we were both not ready to jump into anything serious so just seeing where this goes for now. He called me last week to tell me he was thinking of me - isn't that kind of leaning towards him getting a little attached to me? Anyway, I suggested we hang out again soon and he said he had friend coming in out of town to play in a hockey tournament with him but that he would call me soon. He never called me after the weekend but leaves a small box of chocolates at more door on Valentines Day. It made me feel like I'm in the 3rd grade! Why didn't he call me after the weekend? I called and just left a message of thanks and for him to call me soon. He never called me back that night so where the hell was he on Valentines night??? Am I over thinking things, I'm just curious when he will we return my call and what excuse he has about where he was that night? Should I just play it cool with him or what?