For several years now, I would think cute, tiny things were super adorable that I would get super excited. Then more recently, I enjoyed pretending I was a baby (wiggly and wearing cute shorts, shirts, pigtails). Until today, I had no idea it was a mental condition. However, the big important difference is that I am not sexually aroused by this subject. I just enjoy pretending like I'm a cute baby.

Wikipedia defines it as: "Paraphilic infantilism is a paraphilia that involves the desire to wear diapers and be treated as a helpless infant."

The easiest way to describe paraphilic infantilism is to contrast it with a diaper fetish. Diaper fetishes are a sexual fetish, where the diapers themselves serve as a sexual focus. Paraphilic infantilism is less intuitive since it isn't a fetish. Fetishes focus on a sexually charged object, while infantilism focuses on the self-image of the Adult Baby. The AB has an alternate self-image of an infant. This is similar to a transvestite, except that instead of engaging a female alter-ego every now and then, ABs engage an infantile alter-ego. ABs cannot physically become infants, but try to simulate infancy. This may include the use of adult-sized diapers and baby clothing, toys, baby oils and powders, etc. If the AB's partner is willing to engage in roleplay, she will play the mommy (or he will play the daddy) while the AB plays an infant or toddler. When roleplaying, the AB would try to achieve a baby-like mood or mindset. As a result, sex during the scene would seem incestuous. The AB and partner may have an ordinary sexual relationship at other times, but not while engaged in infantilistic play. As would be expected, the baby wears the diapers.

For more information, read:

I am completely appalled by this because I just thought I was being cute. Has anyone else heard or experienced this?

Although it is harmless and my boyfriend knows I am this way, I am worried because it is still weird. I even look really young for 21 so I feel even more babylike. What is everyone's opinion on my situation?

I have heard of AB's, though never knowingly met any. Given my involvement in alternative lifestyle groups, I probably have met at least one, but since it's not a particular interest of mine the topic never came up.

I think you've got 2 basic options for dealing with this - 1. You can go to a counselor and try to discover why you're into this, pick it apart, and perhaps never come to a conclusion. OR 2. assume you're just wired that way and accept it as a bit of your quirky charm.

Since you're not doing any harm to anyone else with your interest and not forcing others to participate involuntarily, I think option #2 is perfectly acceptable. Other people may think it's weird...so what? They're not living in your skin. It's not the sort of information you're really going to share with everyone you meet. IMO, behind closed doors, all of us do at least one thing someone else would consider "weird."

Now, if you tell someone who tries to shame you or ridicules you for this, I'd re-evaluate that particular relationship. I don't know that I'd want to be that involved with someone who couldn't accept me as I am.

At some point, you may want to see if there is a support/social group in your area for others with this interest. If you live in a larger city, I'd be willing to bet there is one. It's just a matter of finding it. That's where the Internet comes in very handy.

Thanks for your response. I know it's such an unusual condition so it's great that someone at least at something to say. I guess it's just the child within me because I'm not wearing the adult diapers...but who knows. Do you know of any active forums about infantilism? I tried looking everywhere online but nothing active and with moderators. I never thought to bring it up to my therapists before but that would be a great idea.