HPV..genital warts...what do you guys know?

There are many forms of HPV...only some strains cause genital warts. Others can lead to cervical, anal or penile cancer, some have no symptoms, some lead to oral lesions (there are about 30ish strains that are sexually transmitted). Some are considered more dangerous then others in their consequences.

Some good links from BellaDonna, you can also do a search on these forums as HPV had been discussed a few times before.

80% of women will contract a strain of HPV by the time they are 50. 50% of both sexes will contract it in their lifetime. Many won't even know it. There are no tests for men at this point to confirm HPV. It can be transferred from skin to skin contact, even with condoms.

There is no cure, but there are treatments that can remove some of the symptoms (ie warts or pre cancerous lesions). Even without warts/lesions you can transmit it to others.

Are you asking as you are concerned?

As far as the basics go there are over 80 types of the HPV virus. Depending on what type a person has will determine if you will have genital warts or an increased risk in cervical cancer. The low risk types of hpv produce genital warts and the high risk types can cause cervical cancer. If you suspect that you might have this then its best that you see a doctor and get checked out.

Well, my long-time boyfriend a year ago cheated on me..I had suspicions that he had done it numerous times, unprotected so I immediately went to my gyno and got tested for EVERYTHING, even aids. I was clean and everything showed normal. So, I was relieved and not worried whatsoever. I am now sexually active with my fiance (we are getting married in February) and I noticed a few small (tiny) bumps on my bikini line. I didn't think anything of it because sometimes it gets irritated there when I shave so I thought that's all it was. However, it spread a little to the middle of my vagina where I only trim and should not be irritated at all. They don't hurt or itch or anything like that but I guess I'm starting to get concerned. I am going to the gyno today to find out, but I'm so scared and thought maybe I could prepare myself for the worst, if you guys do indeed think it's a big possibility that I've contracted something somehow.

I am going to the gyno today

That's good- because they will be able to tell you for sure.

It does sound like an irritated bikini line- but the fact that it spread- it could be more like a rash- or an allergic reaction...or maybe folliculitis.

It's good to get checked and find out for sure though.

BellaDonna

It's hard to say just from the description, it could also just be a skin irritation from sweat, shampoos/soaps and so on.

Don't forget that if you are pregnant you may also be more sensitive to things that did NOT bother you before.

I would just wait until you see what the gyno says, since no need to worry too much before then. Let us know.

Thanks a ton guys! I truly hope it's just an irritation. I'll be devestated if I get an STD, seeing how I've always tried to be so careful and only sexually active with 2 guys. Plus, I'd know it was my fiance that gave it to me since I got checked after my last bf and I fear that if he gave me an STD that I will have resentment towards him for it.

Thanks a ton guys! I truly hope it's just an irritation. I'll be devestated if I get an STD, seeing how I've always tried to be so careful and only sexually active with 2 guys. Plus, I'd know it was my fiance that gave it to me since I got checked after my last bf and I fear that if he gave me an STD that I will have resentment towards him for it.

To be fair, your fiance would not probably know if he did or not, he may have had no symptoms and as said, men cannot be tested yet.

It could also be dormant for months before you have symptoms.

But really, wait until you know for sure. It does not really sound like it IS from what you described, but it is good to rule it out and find out what it is.

Actually it would be hard to say if it was ur fiance or if it was your last bf. Its possible that you wont show any symptoms for sometime. Even if you are tested the results could come back negative. You have to remember that a false-positive is possible. Thats just the way our system is set up. It would be hard to say who exactly gave you what.

Now, if I had gotten from my ex, even if it was just barely contracted, the doctor would have been able to detect it with all the tests the ran right? I know the symptoms can be dormant for months, but if the virus existed, they WOULD be able to tell, right???

That would depend, they test taking fluid/tissue samples of suspicious areas or areas that are commonly affected and running DNA tests on them.

It is possible that they did not get a good sample that included HPV cells, or any results may have come back as "false-negative". Remember, even if they tested for HPV in your cervix, that would not tell you about the genital warts strain. From what I know, without symptoms, they tend to just test the cervical area and genital wart strains are diagnosed visually....

Here, found something about this.

HOW ARE HPV AND GENITAL WARTS DIAGNOSED?

Your health care provider usually diagnoses genital warts by seeing them. If you are a woman with genital warts, you also should be examined for possible HPV infection of the cervix.

Your provider may be able to identify some otherwise invisible warts in your genital tissue by applying vinegar (acetic acid) to areas of your body that might be infected. This solution causes infected areas to whiten, which makes them more visible. In some cases, a health care provider will take a small piece of tissue from the cervix and examine it under the microscope.

If you have an abnormal Pap smear result, it may indicate the possible presense of cervical HPV infection. A laboratory worker will examine cells scraped from your cervix under a microscope to see if they are cancerous.

Okay, so they just make a GUESS pretty much? Because it's very possible that they could LOOK like a genital wart and simply be an ingrown hair. I guess I don't understand how they can diagnose you without having done a scientific test. I guess I don't quite understand how a doctor can just say, oh yeah sure that LOOKS like a genital wart. Ya know?

Okay, so they just make a GUESS pretty much? Because it's very possible that they could LOOK like a genital wart and simply be an ingrown hair. I guess I don't understand how they can diagnose you without having done a scientific test. I guess I don't quite understand how a doctor can just say, oh yeah sure that LOOKS like a genital wart. Ya know?

Well they are trained. There is a difference between an ingrown hair and a wart that they can easily see.

It's just like they can tell you if you have chicken pox or it may just be an allergic reaction.

Well, I had the joy today of finding out that the painful sore above my penis is in fact herpes. I have had this sore appear in the same spot about 3 x's in three years, but the doctor never seemed too concerned. Today he finally tested it, and it tested positive. It really sucks, and I'd love to know where I got it from as I have always used protection. If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen abstinence without the presense of a relationship.

Well, I had the joy today of finding out that the painful sore above my penis is in fact herpes. I have had this sore appear in the same spot about 3 x's in three years, but the doctor never seemed too concerned. Today he finally tested it, and it tested positive. It really sucks, and I'd love to know where I got it from as I have always used protection. If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen abstinence without the presense of a relationship.

Could of been* contracted with skin to skin contact. It does not have to be genital to genital, and even using protection, one can get many STI's...the condom only covers so much. And as was noted before for HPV, 80% of women will get it before they are 50, and 50% of general population....most won't even ever know they have one of the strains as there may be no symptoms, sometimes it is dormant for years as well.

It is more known about now, however there is still a risk even in a committed relationship one of you has it that was not shown in tests. Which is why women should be getting regular pap smears/tested and be sure it is also monogamous.

Just make sure you disclose it to future sexual partners, and to those you have been with the past couple years wherever possible.

Edited to Add...never mind, now noticed (thanks Liquid!) that you said you had Herpes, not Genital Warts....my bad.

However, other then calling it HPV, it applies

Everything you said is pretty much true except for one thing.. HPV or Human Papilloma Virus is a virus that can cause cervical cancer and/or genital warts. Herpes is called HSV or Herpes Simplex Virus. The two are VERY different with different names.

Oh yeah I knew that, I did not note he said it was Herpes! For some reason I thought he said it was genital warts...huh! It's Friday....thank dog!

So I do know they are different things entirely...sorry for the confusion!

Hey Guys! I went to the doctor..GOOD NEWS!!! It's just a virus, some kind of infection that I guess is really normal. She said there are treatment options if I'm really concerned but that in time they just got away on their own. They aren't like disgusting looking and they are just so small and un-noticeable that I'm not worried about treatment, plus they don't hurt or itch or anything. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your info and for calming me down while I was stressing. I'm glad it was just a false-alarm!

Hey Guys! I went to the doctor..GOOD NEWS!!! It's just a virus, some kind of infection that I guess is really normal. She said there are treatment options if I'm really concerned but that in time they just got away on their own. They aren't like disgusting looking and they are just so small and un-noticeable that I'm not worried about treatment, plus they don't hurt or itch or anything. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your info and for calming me down while I was stressing. I'm glad it was just a false-alarm!

Phew, good news!

Hope this puts your mind to rest and they go away soon too!

Glad to hear it!

BellaDonna