Does anyone have a learning disability and how does it affect you?

Lily04

I have recently been diagnosed with one... a "non-verbal learning disability." I'm not really sure how it has affected me... I graduated high school with a 90% average (4.0) GPA, received a scholarship to a top university, was president of various things in high school, etc... but now in university find it hard to keep up. I'm not sure how much is attributed to my learning disability... apparently I should have a hard time with reading comprehension but I'm a good reader... it seems very paradoxical for me and hard to understand. I've talked with a learning strategist and psychologist at my university, but they're more than happy to just shove stereotypes at me, and basically questioned my desire to pursue law school... I did take a learning disability assessment and my IQ was only said to be "average" with many components "below" (I suppose due to my learning disability... i.e. my memory was relatively weak, although some components were also above average, some verbal & arithmetic skills.) My sessional GPA last year was sufficient to graduate "with high distinction", but cumulative merely average due to a rough first year adjustment... I know successful people with dyslexia, one of whom is an amazing student politician and friend of mine, but I don't really understand how dyslexia affects people's intelligence, if it does at all. It makes you see words/letters backwards, but is that it? It doesn't seem that bad, does it affect your reading comprehension, verbal skills or math abilities? Supposedly Einstein even had it.. and Stephen Speilberg and many other successful people...

If people feel comfortable and would be willing to share their experiences in work and/or academic settings, that might help me out... I feel very much at a crossroads and don't know who to believe -- the counsellors who don't seem like they want to try to understand or assist me with my goals, or my professors who see potential in me and encourage me to pursue things I'm not sure are possible...

IQ is not a good indication of your capacity to go to law school so don't sweat it. It isn't actually a measure of intelligence either...it is a measure of "relative intelligence based upon particular skills" Just like you say, it measures certain things that we do (and doesn't measure many other things).

Average means typical... it isn't something you need to measure anything by.

I've known people to score below average on IQ tests who are incredible mathematicians. Also I have known the opposite thing to be true. Also, I've known people to achieve below average on one test and above average on others (relatively).

Your results are excellent. Like I have said before, they may not be as high as you'd like but they're pretty damn high.

Some psychologists are quick to look for cause without always seeing the whole picture. This is probably one aspect of why some haven't been any help.

Like you've said many successful people have learning disorders (Einstein's is disputed...he had social/behavioural quirks [possibly a degree of autism] that some mistake for learning disorders - he was never diagnosed with a learning disorder AFAIK...LD advocates have made post-hummous "diagnoses". see if interested)

These disorders affect learning - not success. Those examples of successful people show this.

I've known people with Dyslexia too...it does not affect intelligence at all, you're right. It is an inconvenience (of varying degrees and in varying areas).

Your LD isn't going to hold you back if you can get on top of it (you're doing pretty good so far)... it may inconvenience you at the worst. But you will have to work out how to work around it if it is causing a problem.

Find different cousellors! It's important to make sure you are dealing with the problem if there is one. Find ones who help YOU.

I'd also seek a second opinion if you doubt the first!

Thanks registered... I was just wondering about dyslexia, because different disorders can affect areas of intelligence I suppose -- there is one that affects mathematical ability (dyscalculia I think it is called? I don't have that.) My disability affects my spatial skills, perception and memory, but apparently other areas as well (reading comprehension, for ex.) but in my *own* experience I do not think it has... yet the test says it does? I told the psychologist I also highly dispute some of the results... I won the Dept. of English award for highest grade in my graduating class in high school, with people who went to Cornell and UCLA in the States... it's not like I'm not bright... and I've also received the highest grades in my tutorials in university, some of the highest grades in a class of 200... if I had significant reading comprehension problems as they say, how could I achieve great marks on essays that test your ability to comprehend difficult texts like Plato's Republic, Hobbes, etc... I read "Crime and Punishment" at 16 on my own, and started writing abstract poetry at 10 years of age... so I don't understand it. But it was an IQ test, so apparently I'm delusional with thinking I can be smart, and perhaps justified in considering law school?

My results on the test weren't "high" at all. I said there might have been some bias because of stereotypical assessment that impacted the results and have requested a re-test by different assessors, but my advisor has also cautioned that I handle this very diplomatically... At the same time law schools can request seeing the assessment for proof of disability, so I don't want it to say my IQ is 'average' or 'below avg.' on it. And some of the comments noted on the assessment are just very disheartening and discouraging that I can't even bring myself to look at the results... and ultimately put faith in their convictions.

I'm not sure if dyslexia can affect intelligence, but it appears that my counsellors are suggesting that non-verbal learning disability can affect your general intelligence... I just really don't want to believe it, and I'm not sure if such a perception is justified.

I think you should get a second and third opinion from a few more professionals.

I was told I had a learning disability. I was horrible in math, bored in school, could not remember things, did not do the work, etc. Turns out the problem was that it's because - gasp - school IS boring and I hated it, and - get this - it was because the math was too SIMPLE for me.

I flunked algebra 4 years in a row. When I got to Trig I was doing great, but then my teacher flunked me because I did not know my algebra. Sheesh. Anyway, I took algebra one more time and had an excellent teacher. Guess what we discovered? The "problem" was that I could do the math so fast in my head that when I took the time to write it down (like the teacher requires you to do) I would forget and lose track of the entire process. As a result I could only do math in my head. I started doing that and did not write down any of my work, and my teacher accused me of cheating. I tried explaining but he did not believe me. I supposed I would not have believed me, either! So finally one day he thought he was going to make a fool of me, and wrote a problem on the board and had me solve it in front of the class. Of course, about 12 seconds later I had. It took him about 1 minute to work through it only to find I was right. So after a series of more and more difficult problems on the board, all of which I got right, and a lot quicker than he could do he realized I actually WAS telling the truth.

It got to the point where he'd do math on the board and then have the class do it. After the alloted time he'd ask me for the answer and write it down. People could then check their answers. Then they would all work through it together.

Suffice to say I got an A+ in the class - my first and only A+.

So, like I said, go get a second opinion...

Lily04,

I work as a counselor for students with disabilities (mostly learning disabilities) at a university. I agree with the other posters that you should get a 2nd opinion- and also that standardized IQ tests are not always relevant to a person's real intelligence.

If you get a second opinion- and you do indeed have a "disability" then keep in mind that you have certain rights under the law as far as receiving accommodations at college. By accommodations- I mean things like extended time on tests, extended time for assignments, and assignemnts in different formats. When you receive accommodations in college- you are still held to the same exact standards as every other student in your class (they do not lower the standards)- however you are allowed to meet those standards in a way that works best for you. The students in your class DO NOT KNOW anything about this either- it is done PRIVATELY. Usually you meet with a disability support counselor (by law every college has to have one) and then they give you a letter summarizing everything that you give to your professors BEFORE the class even begins.

You are also entitled to accommodations on standarized tests- for example tests for law school.....you can get extended time or a different testing location or format if needed. So just keep that in mind, that if you do have a "disability" and you are attending college- by law you are entitled to certain things. You will have to provide documentation of your disability to receive those things.

The students with disabilities I have worked with at my univeristy were often discouraged by others when they pursued their career goals. In high school their guidance/career counslors often told them "don't bother going to college" . Well guess what....they didn't listen (thankfully!) and they believed in themselves. Usually a particular teacher saw their talents and took an interest in them and motivated them (much like your professors do with you now) I have seen students with disabilties graduate successfully and go on to all types of careers. You have to be your own advocate.

I've talked with a learning strategist and psychologist at my university, but they're more than happy to just shove stereotypes at me, and basically questioned my desire to pursue law school...

All I can say is DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!!!!!!!!

I guess in summary- if you do indeed have a "disability" then this is something you want to know because you should be aware of your rights under the law as it relates to college. And if further testing confirms that you do have adisability - do not get discouraged- it really doesn't say anything about you and all your other ABILTIES. Don't let anyone crush your dreams. Who knows, maybe one day you'll be a successful lawyer fighting cases of discrimination against people with disabilities....

BellaDonna

Many counselor are always quick to diagnose with some type of "disorder" because it is the easiest way to get you out of their hair and pass you on to someone else. I suggest that you talk to someone you trust like a doctor and have him/her give their opinion. It could be another aspect of your life that is getting in the way of your studying. Maybe social life, drinking, drug usage, family problems, relationship problems...these are all things that affect our ability to pay attention in school. (I am not saying that this is your case, but many times its the case). I would definitely get a second opinion from others. There might be a certain "therapy" you can do to help your problem. Maybe take extra vitamins, excercise, change sleeping patterns, or change you diet...Its sounds off topic, but these things all affect the way we perform. I stuggle with a similar disorder, but its an Anxiety disorder where I get very nervous about test and being in class that I literally have panic attacks and I can't pay attention to the lessons.

I just say to hang in there, college is a tough step in life since there is alot of pressure, and at the same time we are being introduced to the reality of the "adult" world with responsiblities.

Another thing I wanted to ask was...you said you want to be a lawyer. Is that your passion? If it isn't and you are taking classes into the major, it might be stressing you out or boring you to the point of losing concentration.

Thanks again for the comments. I definitely want to get re-tested, because I'm scared law schools can use the assessment against me in their admissions decision, and I don't think it's an accurate portrayal of my abilities. The test, for ex., says that my verbal abilities aren't much different from my others, when I just know that my verbal abilities are MUCH better than some of my others (mathematical, spatial, for instance.) I wouldn't have won the English award & history achievement award, and done so well in some courses in university if my verbal skills were underdeveloped. It just doesn't make sense. I also failed calculus, so there IS a difference. I know I suck at science & some other things, and there *should* be a significant difference there.

Also, the testing was a bit questionable for some reasons. THE PROBLEM is that the test cost $1,000 and I got a bursary from my school to cover the costs. I know the school is going to make it difficult for me to get re-tested, especially since the counsellors seem to hate me, since I don't just defer to their authority on these things and actually try to engage in the questions myself... I know the main psychologist will tell me that it's all in my mind, I'm actually not as good as I think, and I should just accept that. But I refuse to, unless I get another test with a competent assessor, one who at least has a Ph.D in the field (the person I was assessed with was only an M.A.) It's just going to be very difficult. I'm going to try to speak to another counsellor about it, but I think she's the main one and will probably make the decision of whether I can or not. As my advisor said, it's very tricky because it questions their competence and they're not going to want to admit they made mistakes and shell out another $1,000 for it...

I definitely want to get re-tested, because I'm scared law schools can use the assessment against me in their admissions decision,

It is agaisnt the law for any institution of higher education to deny admission to you based on the diagnosis of a disability, if you have all of the other credentials they are looking for when you apply. In fact- it would be discrimination if they did that.

Also I don't see why these clinical assessement tests would even be included in your application to law school. Under the law you are not required to disclose a disability in any admissions process.

It's just going to be very difficult. I'm going to try to speak to another counsellor about it, but I think she's the main one and will probably make the decision of whether I can or not. As my advisor said, it's very tricky because it questions their competence and they're not going to want to admit they made mistakes and shell out another $1,000 for it...

Keep on them about this. You may want to check into your college's policy on this. I'm almost certain that you'd be entitled to a second opinion, just like you are in the medical field.

BellaDonna

Hi Belladona,

In Canada, if you apply under the "Access" category (i.e. not under the regular category) you have to provide proof of disability/disadvantage for special consideration. On the website it states that some schools would like to see the actual assessment. Unfortunately, I believe that the results of my assessment were biased and inaccurate. I have reason to believe that the assessor made some remarks on my test that were untrue simply because her opinion was influenced by stereotypical assessments, and perhaps since I was also the last person she was seeing before leaving the school (I don't know for what reason) she maybe just wanted to give a quick assessment without fully considering the circumstances before she left.

In any case, if this assessment has any bearing on the decision by the Admissions committee, and if the assessment says that I'm not intelligent and have difficulties with verbal skills (which is absolutely NOT TRUE, and my high grades are a testament to this), then it's very important to me to be retested. Getting through the bureaucratic BS to get there will be difficult though, I know.

it's very important to me to be retested. Getting through the bureaucratic BS to get there will be difficult though, I know.

Just don't give up, no matter what. Sometimes people will give you the run around- with the hopes that you'll go away. But usually, persistance will eventually cause them to HAVE to address your issue. If the people whom you have already worked with are not cooperative, go to their higher-ups if you can....

BellaDonna

Thanks Belladona, I will do that. I have an appt. with my current counsellor, but asked about changing counsellors. The two I've spoken with haven't been very helpful and I felt treated me quite rudely, but there is only one left... I hope she's better. I already informed my learning strategist about the issue & she was the one that advised being very strategic about how I go about this, in case I need a letter of rec. from a psychologist, one of them will have to write it.

I also have the general manager's business card, and have to make a case about why I want to change counsellors, and the counsellor has the ultimate say in deciding if I can get a re-test. This is why I want I change -- because I don't think the other 2 will approve my request. If none of them approve my request, I will take my issue to the general manager, although I'm not sure if he/she has much of a say. It's just very stressful... But I am determined to get re-tested, and thus far the learning strategist actually supports my request, but she said she can't do much in approving one way or another.

It sounds like you have a plan. Excellent. It also sounds like your learning strategist is on your side too, and gives sound advice. Even if she ultimately can't make the decision, she can help you advocate for what you want and need and advise you of the best way to get through the red tape.

Best of luck!

BellaDonna