Good site about depression...

This website makes me wonder how much depression is actually caused by mental illness, and how much is caused by bad circumstances. I know lots of people who are always depressed, but they are not crazy. They just have bad circumstances. Bad families, bad jobs (or no job), ect. Its a problem if people see depression as a mental problem rather than a social problem.

This website makes me wonder how much depression is actually caused by mental illness, and how much is caused by bad circumstances. I know lots of people who are always depressed, but they are not crazy. They just have bad circumstances. Bad families, bad jobs (or no job), ect. Its a problem if people see depression as a mental problem rather than a social problem.

I've always known that the anti-depressants etc. don't really help people - they cover up a SYMPTOM of depression, but not the cause.

What a lot of physicians fail to realise is that the chemical imbalances, changes in the brain etc. aren't the CAUSE but the RESULT of depression.

If more people realised this, then we'd have to have a major look at how we treat the Western worlds #1 most dibilitating condition.

In one of the articles I linked it talked about how we humans are very social animals - we NEED the company and companionship of others to survive.

It said that we have 2 types of basic needs that NEED to be met before most of us can live properly:

1. Food, shelter etc.

2. Love, intimacy etc.

It's a given that MOST people have number 1 in the Western world at least, but far far less people have number 2.

In fact, I know my depression is down to having a distinct and great lack of Number 2.

Because depression is a vicious cycle - you get started thinking in patterns it's hard or seemingly impossible to break out of.

You believe because you don't have love now, you could never have it, or you never will have it. Or you'll believe that there is something wrong with you, or you have a curse and so on...

It can drag you down, and sometimes it feels like everything about life is rubbish, and there's no point going on.

How we THINK has a great effect on depression. If we spend much of our times alone, then we THINK more.

Due to the nature of my job, I work on my own for around 8 hours a day. I spend maybe 30 minutes talking to my customers, but the rest is just doing the job, driving around for up to 4 or 5 hours a day, and then I get home... It gets very lonely...

I've realised that my thinking has gotten worse over the last few years I have been doing the job. That's why I'm planning to try and leave it soon, and find something more where I can work with others.