Not hearing "I Love You" back

Hi all,

I have been seeing my gf for three months now. Things have been going well and we love hanging out together. This is her first serious relationship so she is having natural worries I think. Also, her parents divorced when she was in college and her dad was remarried two months later (he was cheating). Growing up her parents never showed her and her siblings much affection. I think this and the whole divorce situation are making things difficult for her. Soooo...

I told her I loved her on Sunday and I did not get "I love you too". This naturally threw me off base for a few. She told me no guy has ever said that to her before and she did not know what love was. I do not know how to feel about this. We have hung out a few times since and things are still good, but it lingers in the back of my mind. I want this thing to keep going and I understand it may take her longer to be sure of herself.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes I agree with the others. She is showing you with actions that she very much enjoys your company, I say put it on hold for awhile and let it come to her naturally. She was honest with you and that's important. That way when she does say it, you will know she is sure and that she means it from her heart and head, and you will appreciate that alot more than empty words.

Don't worry. I didn't tell my boyfriend that I loved him when he told me that he loved me. I know now that I love him more than I can express but like your girlfriend, with no experience with love I had no idea what it was that I was feeling. She will say it when she's ready. I didn't tell my boyfriend because I wasn't sure I loved him at that point and didn't want to say "I love you too" just because he said he loved me. That would be an awful lie. Just like you respect a woman and don't push her to have sex with you, you don't pressure her to tell you that she loves you. Continue to be there for her and love her with all of your heart. The words will come out eventually.

• 2 years later...

yes, this happened to me too... still no "I love you too". I haven't said it since the first time I tried. I've accidentally used the word "love" a few times in less direct context, but I'm trying to bite my tongue. I feel is for sure, but I just hope she says it soon. Her actions say it, but why does she hesitate??