I HATE MY ROOMMATES!

I'm a freshman at California University of Pennsylvania, I thought going to school would be great, Especially since I was going to move into an apartment ran through the school. It's a 4 bedroom 4 bathroom apt. And everyone shares the kitchen, livingroom, and dining area. My sister also came to school with me, so she is one of my roommates. I don't mind her. But the other two girls the school put with me I want to KILL.

I come from a middle class family that is struggling to put 3 kids through school at the same time. My roommates are spoiled! They didn't even know how to do laundry when they came to college!

Anyway on to my problem with them. They are loud, and scream when I'm trying to sleep at 1 in the morning. I tell them to be quiet they don't listen. They eat my food without asking, so I got a mini-fridge. I brought pots and pans... they broke the handles off of, and didn't tell me or apologize for it. I'm not even sure if it was accidental. There are many other things that annoy me. THEY ARE SLOBS. they think my sister and I should be their personal maids. because they leave mac n' cheese in a bowl on the floor for days! it's gross...

Please tell me what I should do!

Well, you say that the appartment is ran through the school... I assume you didn't choose to live with those girls; you had somebody assign roommates to you?

Talk to your roommates first, let them know how you feel, and make sure you find out if they feel similarly--obviously, they don't like you much. If setting some ground rules doesn't help, talk to your residential advisors (or peer advisors); that's what they're there for! They'll know better how such conflicts are resolved at your school particularly: I am absolutely sure you are not the first one.

I know my roommates hate both me and my sister, because they posted it on one of their doors!... The one girl made a list of the "top 10 reasons why they are best friends" ..# 7 "we can hate our roommates together"

I have talked to the CA in my building, he told me to talk to them about my problems but I would rather not do that unless someone was present to make sure swings weren't taken. So I haven't said anything yet.

They said if we talked to them and things still didn't improve that we would than ...all four of us... go to the apartment managers office to work something out.

Why don't you and your sister just ask to be moved? I had to do that in my first year of university when I was put in an apartment with a bunch of eighteen going on five yr olds. I was given a choice of apartments that had free rooms and went to each one to meet the people who lived there before I moved in and had no problems since. One of the girls I moved in with then I am still close friends with now.

This issue is unlikely to be resolved any other way so I would just ask to be moved it will be easier for all concerned.

One reason I didn't ever move into dorms, as I know here it is very difficult to get moved or changed mid semester in a University setting. Depends how much longer you're going to be there, if the apartment rent is one semester or two.

Some schools are very easy going about roommates and will change for just about any problem which is stressful but others you need to fill out a complaint/move application, it takes months for approval, and will only be approved if there is evidence of harassment and stress on the student.

An acquaintance of mine lives in the dorm system, hates her roommates, but they refuse to move her because they are in blunt terms, not doing enough mental and physical damage to bother with rearranging people. You'd really have to check their policies.

Some Colleges will offer Mediation services between the conflicting parties, some will suggest a contract which must be worked on and signed by both parties under the supervision of a mediator or such. Others will remove, and then there are the ones that don't offer much at all except a "Deal with it" response until something worthy occurs.

Wow I really feel bad for you....its a pretty big 'ouch' when they go out of their way to make a "top 10 reasons"....you should definitely consider moving out asap for the new semester coming up...if thats not possible, make a 'rules sheet'....for ex. no loud noises after 1....clean your own plates cuz your mom doesnt live here....etc. Calmly talk these rules over with them, you dont have to be friends with them, but a hateful relationship in the same house just sucks. Explain this to them, because they hate you just as much as you hate them. and make sure that when you move into a different place, to set rules with the other roomates before problems arise =)

I totally know what you're going through and feel for ya!!! My freshman year at the dorms was horrible..... We had 6 in our whole room.... it was like a split room w/ 2 ppl in each room...... Some of my roomates were so mean to me becz they thought I was spoiled and the one girl threw water on my computer and fried it.... they always broke into my room..... luckily I had insurance!!!! This year, I live off-campus and commute..... BUt it is definitely going to be hard to approach them because they most likely won't listen... i wuld put in for a room change, I feel like that is what their trying to get you to do anyway... or confront her and ask them why they hate you so much.... i totally feel for ya though

It's really hard at the place I live to get a room change because we signed leases for our apartment for one year, including the summer.

I told my CA today that last night they turned the AC on when it was 38 degrees outside. So not only are they making my life hell, but potentially it could he a health problem.

He told me to still talk to them. They are so immature about things that I don't want to talk to them without someone else being there. I think if I talk to them fists will fly and I don't want that.

It's pretty much impossible to move, and I hate the thought of not being able to even live in my livingroom, or cook in my own kitchen. If I wanted to be treated this way I would've just gotten a dorm, at least that would've been cheaper.

Thanks everyone for all your imput. But I'm pretty sure there is no easy solution to this mess.

hey girl, i can't express my sorrow for you enough...... I think maybe get your CA to go with you to talk it out or get some friends.... you need to work that stuff out.... It was 30 degrees last nite and there is NO NO NO need for the air to be on...... come on now, those girls are in college and acting like high schooler's.... i can't believe how immature they act for their age.... best of luck, keep us posted!

I haven't really done anything about my roommates so far...

But It hasn't been too bad because I go home almost every weekend and it's like my little vacation away from here...But it's really sad leaving everyone again, I even cry almost everytime I leave, because I know exactly what I'm going back to compared to what I have back home.

But it's okay, because I guess College isn't just about learning information about your future career but also how to live with others, see how they see things. I don't know if that makes any sense...but I have to understand that everything happens for a reason.

I don't think I ever thanked everyone who responded... so THANK YOU.. I really appreciate it