Kinda of embarassing, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Well .. here goes.

I sucked my thumb until I was about... 15. yes, a very long time, i didnt see anything wrong with it, and i guess my parents didnt either.

now i am really self conscious because my smile isn't "normal"... my teeth are straight, but my top ones stick out way farther than the bottom ones. you can't tell by looking at me, unless you look at my teeth from the side, or from the bottom. [see image ]

I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was correctable, by surgery, or braces? I have a dentists appointment in about a month, but i'm really stressing out about it. Please help.

Or can it correct itself over time?!

thank you

image removed

Yes, you have an overbite now, and it is correctable. Your orthodontist will determine what best options are for you...if your jaw is out of alignment it may need to be done by jaw surgery, which can be "not fun" but will make a big difference!

At this point, it won't correct itself though.

Good luck

You have nothing to worry about- honest. At your appt. they will more than likely take x-rays and possibly impressions and do an oral exam. Then they will give you some options. Braces aren't that comfortable, but the end result will leave you smiling!

Do you know if its always been like that? Maybe it was... you never really thought about it so why would you have checked back then...

I still suck my thumb and my teeth/jaw doesnt do that... my dentist always checks each visit.. I dont think he knows that I still suck my thumb.. he probably does and doesnt say anything...

Do you know if its always been like that? Maybe it was... you never really thought about it so why would you have checked back then...

I still suck my thumb and my teeth/jaw doesnt do that... my dentist always checks each visit.. I dont think he knows that I still suck my thumb.. he probably does and doesnt say anything...

I still suck my thumb, too.... I thought i was the oldest non-fetish thumbsucker in the world.

I had an overbite from thumbsucking and I had it corrected with 2 years of braces. Even though I still do it, it hasn't come back.

I still suck my thumb, too.... I thought i was the oldest non-fetish thumbsucker in the world.

I had an overbite from thumbsucking and I had it corrected with 2 years of braces. Even though I still do it, it hasn't come back.

Well, I guess I do have a bit of an overbite, but I know for a fact I have always been like this.... it doesnt bother me.. I have enough problems with having a space in between my two front teeth

I thought I was the only one who still sucked their thumb too... I went to school with a girl who sucked her thumb IN CLASS!!! I only ever suck my thumb at home, and with people who I love and am comfortable with.

My Fiance doesnt care.. but sometimes I wonder what he really thinks... Well he loves me, so I am sure he is fine with it.. I just dont know what I will do when I have kids... I dont want them to suck their thumbs forever but I cant stop.

The only thing I have changed over the years is I dont suck my thumb when I go to bed anymore... and I dont wake up sucking my thumb either...

For me, when I am tired or watching tv... OR, when I am upset... its relaxing and calming... If my fiance and I are in the car (at night) then as long as my thumb is clean then I suck my thumb then too... since he always drives.

At least with children... you have a year at least to get over sucking your thumb... I dont think I can do it though...