What is the point in having friends?

What is the point in having friends? Do you really need them in your life?

I don't have many friends in my life. One reason is that I'm shy and another is that I rather not get hurt. I very rarely open up to my few friends but on the occasions that I have I ultimately end up losing them, which in turn leaves me feeling quite low.

I would like to have a few friends but at what cost should that come?

Sometimes I feel like I'm better off alone.

Some people prefer solitude.

It's a personal choice.

Not all 'friends' will betray you or leave you when things get tough.

A real friend will be there for you; and vice versa.

Everything has the potential to backfire - of course you could meet friends that will leave you when you get close to them. But you could also meet friends that will stick by you no matter what.

If you want to make friends - take steps to making them.

Yes it can in most cases. However in my situation I find it very hard to build up trust onces again once I feel it gone. I don't want to continuely have my feelings walked over. I don't want to feel like I've been set aside and not bothered with anymore.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

While you're right about the trust thing,and so is darkblue about being able to repair it,a lot of people take this thing about trust too far.

In some ways,what you're saying when you trust someone is that you will until that person breaks off from what you expected of him;and so many times expectations ruin relationships because you're in them trying to get something out of them instead of giving them your best.

Just food for thought. 8)

Darkblue you have said it perfectly.

Treat others as you would like to be treated. I think I might contemplate that for awhile and see where that leads me. You can't control the way other people react but you can control your own response.

Treat others as you would like to be treated. I think I might contemplate that for awhile and see where that leads me. You can't control the way other people react but you can control your own response.

This is true, but are you sure that your response is the right one?

This is true, but are you sure that your response is the right one?

You can only be yourself.

I think that might be what I'm doing wrong too.

I feel your pain Moore. Never anyone to hang out with or anyone to relate to. I have very few friends and they're always busy with school during the week and work during the weekends.

i've been there as well, still am really. sometimes it can take a long time to meet the friends that are right for you. i have been through so many different people that either had been friends or i hoped they would be friends. but the few that i have held on to have been the ones that will be there for life.

dont give up on other people. it can seem so easy at times but ultimately its not what you want. try and stay positive. you get what you give so if you go out there with a positive, confident outlook, you might see things differently.

hope things can be different for you.

I think darkblue said it best, definitely remember The Golden Rule and treat others like you wish to be treated. My mom always said, in order to have friends, you have to be a friend. Just remember that even in the best of relationships feelings are bound to be hurt at some point, but that doesn't mean you give up. That's the wonderful power of forgiveness. I hope you are able to open up and share yourself with others. Good luck to you!