do you have friends like these?

People who you know from work, school or some other social situation, but you aren't close to them like play-brothers or sisters. They won't call you just to talk about things after a day at work..you're actually the person who has to call. Also, you'll bring up a conversation topic on the phone (Hey man, did you see the movie yet?) but the conversation will only last a few seconds. These people won't tell you about their day-to-day activities or situations unless you ask them. The only thing that they will be forward enough to talk about is an event hosted by someone that they know (my buddy is throwing this huge bar-bq party at the park. want to come?) OR in the rarest cases they will actually promote a dance party that is happening, treating you like another "customer" instead of a person that you know and would like to talk to about stuff.

HOWEVER, they act friendly and never set you up in situations that you can't get out of, and they're cool to hang out with.

I've known quite a few people from work like that. We'd talk and be friendly, even go to some of the work events together, but our relationships together always seemed fairly superficial. If something either exciting or traumatic happened, they were probably the last "friends" on my list of who to call.