Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Celebrating International Women's Day

9 hours ago, yogacat said:

Indeed.

Taylor Swift is sending a powerful message to women on the Eras tour | CNN

The writer of this article, who was not originally a fan, shared her own challenges with ambition as a woman and lauds Swift for her uplifting message. So I think that resonates with many of her female fans, especially since many of them may have also faced their own struggles in their daily lives. Her vulnerability and honesty in her lyrics make her relatable to fans who may also be going through similar situations.

Sure sounds like it! I have zero interest in her or her music but enjoy hearing the football boyfriend tidbits on the radio.  I know of many women and young girls who are Swifties and are passionately into her.  When she came to my city it obviously was a major event and caused so much angst as far as the logistics of finding -and affording-tickets.  I hear she is presenting positive and inspiring messages to women and girls.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Sure sounds like it! I have zero interest in her or her music but enjoy hearing the football boyfriend tidbits on the radio.  I know of many women and young girls who are Swifties and are passionately into her.  When she came to my city it obviously was a major event and caused so much angst as far as the logistics of finding -and affording-tickets.  I hear she is presenting positive and inspiring messages to women and girls.

She's done a lot of philantrophic work and has empowered young girls/women. It's not talked about very much but she has been interviewed to speak on some subjects regarding domestic violence and other sexual assaults and boy did the media want a piece of her. She is very bright and eloquently well spoken. 

I won't comment on her music but she created a new genre and with that managed to escape the clutches of the evil record industry and retain control of her own destiny.

That's what the song "The Man" is about -she has always been self-penned but have been pretty much forced out of some deals because she was female? (which in itself drives the point home). 

I forgot to include Margaret Mead, 1901-1978, the most famous of the U.S. women anthropologists. I loved her book 'Coming of Age in Samoa' 1928.

She was a pioneer in the field of anthropology and inspired generations of women to pursue careers in science and academia.

35 minutes ago, yogacat said:

She's done a lot of philantrophic work and has empowered young girls/women. It's not talked about very much but she has been interviewed to speak on some subjects regarding domestic violence and other sexual assaults and boy did the media want a piece of her. She is very bright and eloquently well spoken. 

I won't comment on her music but she created a new genre and with that managed to escape the clutches of the evil record industry and retain control of her own destiny.

That's what the song "The Man" is about -she has always been self-penned but have been pretty much forced out of some deals because she was female? (which in itself drives the point home). 

I forgot to include Margaret Mead, 1901-1978, the most famous of the U.S. women anthropologists. I loved her book 'Coming of Age in Samoa' 1928.

She was a pioneer in the field of anthropology and inspired generations of women to pursue careers in science and academia.

Thanks for sharing the information and your opinions and perspective!  I'm not interested in her music or in her work/contributions and I know you and many women and girls are as I wrote above.  I respect that as I wrote above! I hope you can respect that I am not.  I feel comfortable not being a Swiftie 😉

For sure Margaret Mead!

I took women's history in college in 1984 -freshman year, first semester and I was BLOWN AWAY by  Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. So inspired by her from that moment on. I also admire the author Elizabeth Strout for her novels, the late Dr. Joy Browne (who I met in person), Queen Latifah back in the day.  I also have liked Oprah a lot over the years and subscribed to her former magazine for many years.  And the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, RIP -my family and I were fortunate to see her speak in 2020 before she passed away. My son was only 11 but I think he got a lot out of it.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

For sure Margaret Mead!

I took women's history in college in 1984 -freshman year, first semester and I was BLOWN AWAY by  Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. So inspired by her from that moment on. I also admire the author Elizabeth Strout for her novels, the late Dr. Joy Browne (who I met in person), Queen Latifah back in the day.  I also have liked Oprah a lot over the years and subscribed to her former magazine for many years.  And the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, RIP -my family and I were fortunate to see her speak in 2020 before she passed away. My son was only 11 but I think he got a lot out of it.

These are great women that you've mentioned! I'm glad you were able to see Ruth Bader Ginsburg speak.

That must have been amazing. She was a true trailblazer and her legacy will live on for generations. 

Just now, yogacat said:

These are great women that you've mentioned!  I'm glad you were able to see Ruth Bader Ginsburg speak.

That must have been amazing. She was a true trailblazer and her legacy will live on for generations. 

She was for sure.  I'd met her daughter in the past at an event -also a lawyer and I think a professor.  Thanks!

• Like 1