Felony Conviction

On 1/8/2024 at 12:46 PM, rainbowsandroses said:

Was this in the US?  In the US, an employer doesn't need legal grounds for termination.

Most employment agreements are "at will" meaning either the employer or employee can terminate at any time for any reason. 

The legal reasons for why an employer cannot terminate involve, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability 

Lying on an application is certainly grounds for termination.  I DO agree that not all employers will terminate for lying though as in your friend's case.

However, it's a risk to lie and don't advise it, that's all I'm saying. 

Again in the US.

Yup. In NY, which is an At-Will state.  But firing someone is lot more complex especially if you are dealing with a union worker.  People can also sue for wrongful termination.  Not completing your application correctly with HR who didn't do a deep dive, while doing your job well, are not grounds for firing.

3 hours ago, tattoobunnie said:

Not completing your application correctly with HR who didn't do a deep dive, while doing your job well, are not grounds for firing.

You just said this was in NY which has an "at will" employment policy so they don't need grounds unless the employee was a union worker which I admit I don't know much about.

Other than that, I was a paralegal at a law firm specializing in labor/employment law for five years and we handled cases like this all the time which fall under wrongful termination (both plaintiff and defendant), but I don't claim to know everything, so will defer to you. 

Thanks!!