Work dillema

Its a bit complicated but will try to explain...

My work field is "education". Most similar for other countries would be "guidance counselor" at school, but here its basically psychologist since that job in school is occupied by both people with psychologist or education faculty degree. And I can even teach some classes if there is a need for that. 

Anyway, that kind of jobs here are mostly government jobs. Preschools and schools, or even some other fields where I could work with my degree like social service, are 99% government here. And to work those kind of jobs, you need a very good "connections". Political or personal. I did some "replacements" over the years where I would replace somebody for a month or two while they are at sick leave and such. But nothing more permanent. And Ive had so many "bad lucks" over the years with it. To the point where I managed to land a job where I would replace a woman who went to maternity leave and since it was her 3rd kid it would be for whole 3 years until she would came back. Only to turn up next day at the job and find out Ministry of Education send them another woman who was "technological excess"(she lost her norm at school but since she is on a permanent worker contract they are obligated to find her a norm even at some other school if it opens) so she got the job. That kind of "bad luck". 

So I did the most logical thing at the moment. I didnt just wanted to wait for the job at home(did some other works in between outside of field or even inside of field but nothing more permanent) so I did what lots of my friends with faculty degree without a permanent job did and made myself a freelancer. I am pretty good with English and computers and software in general so I had no problem to adapt and find some work from home. And it did served me good over the years. With a few hours of work a day I easily outearn any minimal wage, hard work(and I mean that, some of these people here work 6 days 8+ hours in bad conditions). Sometimes I even earn what I would earn in school with my work field depending on a month.

But it has some flaws. Sometimes you have more work, sometimes you have less so the pay is inconsistant. And you are mostly closed at home unless you want to go to, for example, coffee shop with WiFi to work there(some freelancers do that) so there is no socialization. So, when my brother in law gained a good position within the local government, he encouraged me to involve more within local politics. That is basically how it works here most of the times, you help around to rulling party by volunteering(for example giving panflets or going to political gatherings or helping around elections) and they see that you are "active" and help you if you need work. Very bad and flawed system but it is what it is. So I do that for about a year now.

Anyway, I got OK results. Was doing administrative work last year for 4 months, even was involved in government census(every 10 years they do statistics about citizens so you go home from home in your local town and do that for the government). My Bosses where very happy with me in general and did a good work. My Boss at the census job personally requested me because I did a great job when it was the selection process.

But the job in my own field of work did eluded me. There was an opening in my work position but some other woman got it. There are hardly an openers for it and generally lots of people(with even better connections then me) so its hard to even get to the point of them offering you work. But I did manage to get an audience with the local school administrator. So he did promised me that when they have an opening he would call me. I was adamant and even went to see him once a month or so to ask if there is any openings just in case.

And few days ago, there really was an opening. Woman who teaches philosophy at local high school(its a high school complex building so she basically teaches at 3 schools for a full norm) is pregnant. So for 2 years I would take over her classes. But at the end it turns out I will not get her 100% norm but only 40-50% norm at 1 school while some other professor would take over her classes at other schools. They should offer me that on Monday.

So, what do you think?

I never did teach classes but I had methodology of teaching in college. So will require at least some adaptation in terms of that as well as some learning of subject that I teach as well as school program. And 40-50% is not great. But that is only around a few school classes(they have philosophy at final year in high school) and around 10 lessons a week I think. And with my freelance job I would be pretty good overall. Plus they pay my pension and social in full(as I would have 100% norm) by law so it would count a lot toward my pension fund. Not to mention high school complex is 5 minutes walk from my own home.

I could potentially wait. Some other woman should also go on maternal leave soon and its my own job as a guidance counselor in one other elementary school albeit some few kilometers away. But there is no guarantee that I would be offered a position. Especially when I turn down this one and they can say how I didnt want what they offered before. Plus when you are in a school, its easier to hear about similar positions. And they can add you "%" of classes to fill your norm to 100% if there is an opening as its easier to offer that to somebody who is already there.

So this is out of my area- although I did teach elementary school for a couple of years many years ago but I say go for it and I will tell you why I think so.  First from all you wrote -you are such a go getter, so proactive, and I have no doubt that you will adapt to this new role -plus it's only 40% so it won't be as overwhelming as taking on her full course load. And - it's awesome  you can still do the freelancing on the side which as you said is a bit unpredictable.

Congrats on being so persistent and they will be lucky to have you.  Also - I wonder -so if you do 40% what if the others who do the other 60% either quit/get fired -then do you get to take over their part? 

Good luck!!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

First from all you wrote -you are such a go getter, so proactive, and I have no doubt that you will adapt to this new role -plus it's only 40% so it won't be as overwhelming as taking on her full course load.

Thanks a lot. There wasnt much choice then to be proactive about it. It was either that or just to do about anything even for minimum wage(I have a friend who has a college degree but drives forklift). Or to find a job and immigrate to the country with better economy. Lots of people that do freelance stayed because with freelance work they can live at least comfortably, otherwise they would probably immigrate. 

I think its maybe better to start smaller from the point that I would have to adapt. But will see if and what they offer. 

2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Also - I wonder -so if you do 40% what if the others who do the other 60% either quit/get fired -then do you get to take over their part? 

They dont get fired, somebody needs to teach those classes. Since the woman I would substitute has 100% at 3 schools(I think hers are 50% at one school, 30% at 2 and 20% at 3), I would get her percentage of classes at one school. In other schools they would probably give them to somebody from that school that needs to fill in his or her norm to 100%(full norm of 100% is 20 classes in a week or roughly 4 classes a day). For example, if the professor at school no2 has 70% norm at his subjects, they would get 30% of her classes at that school to teach to get to 100%. Not everybody has a full norm and they add them as it goes. Unfortunately, each school has a separate principal. So they have a power to either take somebody new or just give that percentage to somebody else. In most cases they just do the second because its more easy and those professors already work there. That is why I said that they will maybe add me more % later if something more opens. 

50 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

I'd definitely take it. If you absolutely hate it, you can quit. But if you love it, you'll have your foot in the door when a fulltime position comes up.

I like philosophy so should be fun. But the kids can be tricky. Philosophy is only a final year subject. So the kids are 18/19 years old and can be tricky especially at the final year when they know they will leave school soon. In lots of cases for good as lots opt not to go to college after. So depending on that could be good or bad. 

• Thanks 1

Bit of an update. They offered 40%. Been collecting administrative documents(birth certificate, that I am not under investigation, physical check from doctor etc) left and right for 2-3 days. Administration here is crazy. Anyway, I gave them all they need, they gave me my schedule and should start officially on Monday. I have 8 classes in a span of two days(Monday and Tuesday) and the rest of 3 days a week I am free. So its a pretty good deal overall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

Bit of an update. They offered 40%. Been collecting administrative documents(birth certificate, that I am not under investigation, physical check from doctor etc) left and right for 2-3 days. Administration here is crazy. Anyway, I gave them all they need, they gave me my schedule and should start officially on Monday. I have 8 classes in a span of two days(Monday and Tuesday) and the rest of 3 days a week I am free. So its a pretty good deal overall. 

Hooray!

• Thanks 1