The time seems to pass so slowly..

My boyfriend and I have been in an LDR for many years. We are both University students - he in England and myself in Tasmania. yes thats 11000 miles Our year runs a little something like this:

Nov-Feb I am in the UK

June-Aug he is in Aus

Nov -Feb again...

We've been doing this for awhile and we know our LDR works, its not like this forever because once we finish university (Nov 2006 for me, May 2007 for him) we can be together PERMANENTLY.

I'm just having a whinge because it seems that the time is passing so slowly..he is here in 26 days and I CAN'T WAIT. My family and friends are so excited to see him again as well. They haven't seen him since August last year. I'm proud of the fact that our relationship does work - it doesn't change the fact that its hard and I miss him everyday.

When we're older, married with children and even when we're grandparents, I know we'll look back at these times and think 'ahh it wasn't so bad'. Our time apart makes us appreciate the time we do spend together and we don't take anything for granted. For anyone considering a LDR, these words: communication and trust

ooh and for anyone in an LDR who both live in the same country, PLEASE appreciate that you won't have immigration to contend with!!

ooh and for anyone in an LDR who both live in the same country, PLEASE appreciate that you won't have immigration to contend with!!

I second that! That whole issue is causing major problems for me at the moment, which is a real downer. I'm English and my girlfriend is American. I know it'll get sorted though, it's one thing I'm optimistic about

15 days 'til my girlfriend gets here though! I've not had too much of a problem with slow time because I'm doing my last year of university and studying and coursework have taken up most of my time. I've got exams either side of the day she arrives too, which might benefit us because she'll get to see my "arg I'm so stressed my brain is going to burst" mode.

I know how exciting it is when the clock starts ticking down. Hope you both have a great time when he arrives!

I second that! That whole issue is causing major problems for me at the moment, which is a real downer. I'm English and my girlfriend is American. I know it'll get sorted though, it's one thing I'm optimistic about

Yeah we know we'll get it sorted too - it just takes time and money. We've got a few friends who haven't been together very long and they received spousal/de facto visas really quickly and we get a bit frustrated because we've been together for years but because of uni...we can't sort it out yet! What type of visas are you going for?

Where abouts in England are you? Which uni are you at? My boyfriend has exams starting on Monday right up until 3 days before he arrives here and my exams begin 3 days after he arrives! Last year he was supposed to arrive the night before my hardest exam, but he came a week early to surprise me

I study Software Engineering at Nottingham Trent university. I'm looking to get either a work permit visa, which is very hard because I don't have any work experience, or an internship with a US company. The latter is probaby better as I can stay for up to 18 months, and I'll get some excellent work experience so hopefully I'll have less trouble getting work elsewhere.

What about you two? Have you decided which country you're going for yet? I think getting a visa and knowing you can be together will really be a boost to any relationship, and if you can get over that hurdle you can do pretty much anything

Zimetra The first time I went to see my girlfriend, I couldn't remember her exact address for US customs so I got sent to a little room with armed police for an hour, and then get interviewed. Luckily I had her cell phone number so they could ring her and get her address, and I only just got to my plane in time (I ran the length of one of Atlanta's terminals. That's a long way). Personally I'm quite scared of missing a flight, so I'm always at the airport two hours early (at least).

Hi suziep,

I just found this board today and I'm glad I did. I can totally relate to the distance and how slowly time passes -- my fiancee just left on Monday after being home for only two weeks this time, and it feels like 3 years.

We've been in an LDR for almost a year and a half. The first 6 months, he was only in Canada (studying English), then he spent a month here and went back to Japan because his job is there. This was his third time here, and he loves it here -- so, when he's done with his responsibilities back in Japan, this is where we'll settle down.

It's really hard being apart for both of us. Because of the project he was working on, he couldn't come home for 6 months and then, he was going to come for a month but it snowed so much there this year the project got extended and he only got 2 weeks. Now, he's back at his job and he's got 2 more years committed to it before he can come to the States -- it's good to have the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel seems like it just goes on and on and on.

Anyways, it's nice to meet you and I'm looking forward to meeting everybody and hearing your experiences (I'm always here to lend an ear or be a shoulder to cry on, too). It's good to know there are others around who "get" what I'm going through. Thanks.

hey MelodyCalls

How interesting..my lad studies Computer Engineering at Sheffield Hallam Uni

For us - we haven't decided which country EVENTUALLY to settle in. With our visas - we're going for de facto spousal visas - we have enough evidence for Liam to get an Australian one. The shared bank accounts, the evidence we lived together, evidence of communication while separated, statements from family and friends and evidence of travel between us. However for the UK authorities, they don't accept personal statements from family and friends so we need to live in Australia first to get some more official documentation such as insurance, lease agreements etc etc. Liam is due to start his placement in September this year after which he will do his final year. I'm heading over in November until February and then next year I have my final year, then the year after that is my Honours year with my thesis. We finish uni with 5 months of each other, then we'll most likely live in Australia for a year just to get that official documentation. Trying to explain this to my friends is a nightmare! lol

Just a thought - I recently saw that the US has changed some of the working visas to Australians - maybe check it out, they may have changed it for the UK as well? How many days till she gets here now? I'm at 24!

dawn23 - I sent you a pm

Zimetra - is he here yet?? Aww how lovely! Enjoy your time together