wouldn't this be amoral ?

RainyCoast, you don't understand , in Egypt job opportunities are extremely hard to find and unemployment is getting worse as time passes , so even people with degrees in engineering need to work hard after university,study and take other degrees from external sources in order to qualify for a job , this is something that I'm sure I can't do , I'm not even sure I can make it through engineering school alive without losing my mind and going into depression and becoming suicidal again , so I think it's unfair for me to just be equated to other people who have worked harder than me and are more qualified , or even deprive them completely of the job because of how influential my father is . The other thing is , as far as I've researched , Egyptian universities have significantly low rankings in comparison to other universities abroad (and of course especially the ones in first world countries) , I'm currently attending Alexandria university , and the last time I checked over multiple sources on the web , it's the highest ranked university in Egypt , but it's in the 600s overall or something like that(dropped about 200 positions in the last 2 years and God knows how it's gonna be like when I graduate 4 or 5 years from now) , also the majority of the people I know who , in the past , were able to emigrate had to do much extra studies abroad in order to receive an equivalent degree and find a job, I also don't think there would be any evidence that I firstly went to engineering school before going to business school , not unless I put it into my CV , which I surely wouldn't .

ken78 , I didn't really get what you meant with what you said about employers already having someone targeted for the position . Please elaborate on that part . The reason I went to engineering school as I've mentioned , is because of my family's pressure . My decision from the beginning was business school , but my mother said that my father would raise hell if I did that so I had no choice but to succumb to the said circumstances .

If my father gets me a job through personal relationships or people he has done some favors in the past without them actually checking my qualifications , or comparing them to other applicants for the same job position.

I'd reserve my own judgment about that unless and until you're presented with an actual opportunity. From there you can estimate whether or not YOU believe that you're qualified to step into the position and learn it. If not, then accepting the role would be tough to live with--maybe in terms of ethics, but more so in terms of feeling a sense of pride in your performance.

If you believe that you can do a good job in a given role, then IMO, however you've landed the position short of degrading yourself is irrelevant. If you believe that a given role has been created for you with no real opportunity to perform to your own private standards, such as an 'absentee' role where you merely collect a paycheck to make 'a show' of earning the money, then you're smart enough to figure out what that means and whether you'd be willing to accept such a position.

Head high, and avoid the trap of 'contempt prior to investigation'.

ken78 , I didn't really get what you meant with what you said about employers already having someone targeted for the position . Please elaborate on that part . The reason I went to engineering school as I've mentioned , is because of my family's pressure . My decision from the beginning was business school , but my mother said that my father would raise hell if I did that so I had no choice but to succumb to the said circumstances .

you seemed concerned with moral or ethical questions of having an advantage over someone, but that thought would be based on the premise that an employer would treat everyone equally which is not always the case. there is no "fairmess"... its all subjective, a person could be top notch in technical skills but they might have an awkward personality...or vice versa. job interviews and scoring are not agnostic, they are highly dependent on the interviewer, interviewee, the time of day, having a bad cup of coffee, getting cut off in traffic....so to exclude yourself from an opportunity based on the morality would seem unfair to yourself.

so it seems there is more family pressure here than anything else. is there no compromise? engineering management exists as a major in some universities, there is also generalist majors like industrial eningeering that are a little bit of some things...its not as rigorous though you still have to do the intro classes. outside of mom saying so, has your father actually blown up at the thought of majoring in business? for what its worth, i too had depression throughout university, i nearly cracked at the end but made it through...im not in a research, analyst role or academic field so the stuff that made me pull my hair out i don't even use and neither has any of the dozens or hundreds of engineers I worked directly or indirectly with did either. think of it as a training center for problem solving. we build and fix things but there are many tools that handle the math when needed.

Archived