Boyfriend getting temporarily relocated in new relationship? What would YOU do?

ms201242

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I just found out that he is getting relocated for work within the next couple of months. He will be 6-8 hours away by car for about a year and a half. At the time he leaves, we will have been together for 5-6 months.

We have an incredibly strong relationship even though it is fairly new. Things have been so fantastic that it seemed too good to be true. I have a journal on here and I post a couple times a week...most of the time my posts are about how good of a time we had together and how our relationship has grown. I can confidently say that he's THE one for me. I've been in plenty of short term relationships and a couple long term relationships and he has made me realize what people mean when they say "when you know, you know". I can't read his mind, but based on our conversations and times together, I think he feels the same way. He may not be ready to say I'm the one yet, but I feel that he's in it for the long haul. We're already so integrated into each other's lives and it just feels natural and right.

Long distance is not a deal breaker for me. I would be 110% willing to put the time and effort into seeing each other a couple times a month and keep communication strong. I have a flexible job and could potentially spend several weeks at a time with him. If the cards were played right, I could actually move with him, but I doubt that will happen. I would like to get thoughts from others...what would you do in this situation? What if you were the one moving? We will absolutely be having a serious discussion about this, but I wanted to get a feel for how others might react in this situation.

For the record, I've been in a LDR before, which lasted 3 years. I believe he has too, but it was a fairly short term arrangement.

Any advice/options/thoughts are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

What would I do? Wish him well, try to stay in contact and keep on with my life. Dont plan on moving to where he'll be for at least a year, your relationship is so very young and new, you dont know which way it will go. 5-6 months with someone may seem long enough to know if they are The One but only tine will tell if that was right or not. Dont put your life on hold for him or anyone else. Carry on doing what you do, visit him if it works out for you to do that, and see how it goes.

If I was the one leaving I'd be so excited for the new job/location etc and being able to make new friends. I'd do my best to keep old friends but also know that life goes on and things change. I would not expect anyone to wait for me to come back in 1.5 years.

Archived