Symptoms while on the pill...

plowman

Hi guys, quick question for your opinions.

My girlfriend and I are in love and have been together around 13 months now. I plan on asking her to marry me this next year. Anyways. We have a sexual relationship, she is on the pill. I try to make sure that she is on time with the pills, because to be honest, neither of us like condoms.

I know it's not the "safest" way to go about avoiding pregnancy, but so goes our selfish decisions. Last week, she had just finished her period and we were together for a special dinner together. We had planned on an evening encounter and she had forgotten to take her first pill on time. She took it a few hours late and we slept together. She then took emergency contreceptives within the 12 hours after...according to the instructions.

I don't like her taking these pills, because you never know what they do to a womans body...I hope she can have my baby one day...just not now. Anyhow. She told me today, that she had some spot bleeding and I got massively worried, because she said that hasn't happened to her before. Now yesterday, we were wrestling (playing with each other) and I accidentally knee'd her in the lower abdomen very hard. I felt so bad.

Anyways...do you think that spot bleeding is a sign of pregnancy or could it be my accidental knee to her overies? Should I be concerned? Thanks.

Hey thanks for the encouraging words. I suppose the "morning after" pill could have something to do with the bleeding too. She's never had a "regular" cycle before starting the pill, so I would be surprised If she ovulated and conceieved the day after her flow stopped...

Maybe wishful thinking???

She is fine, the bleeding is likely just due to the morning after pill. I am assuming she is on the double hormone pills, and if so, she would of been fine taking the one a bit late - technically you have not "missed" a day until you take it 12 hours late but you definitely should make a habit of taking them on time as that is what makes them 99% effective, but she would of been fine without the MAP that time around I am sure. MAPS are just birth control pills taken in higher doses for the most part and why it may have made her spot as it is meant to trigger a hormonal response similar to that what would cause that to happen.

As for her being on the pill...it actually has many benefits to woman as well, including regulating and shortening periods, decreasing rates of ovarian cancer, decreasing cramps/headaches...so don't think of it in a negative light. Today's pills are nothing like they were 20 years ago where the hormones were much higher...the hormones are low (and mimic what a womens body makes during pregnancy anyway) and don't stay in your system very long once you stop taking them (hence why you should not miss pills). A women's fertility will be just like it was BEFORE she started taking them once she stops...thereforeeee she will be fertile within a month or so stopping taking them. This is not true for things like the Depo shot that can take a year, or mess a cycle up for years. So, don't worry about it!

Hey thanks...you help ease my worries.

She is on Ortho Lo...if that clarrifies anything. It's not that I don't plan on caring for or being a great father. I just want to try ensure that our future together goes, at least something like we planned.

Do you think that while she is on the pill, that it would be a good idea to use a spermicidal lubricant as well? It probably is...but is there any drawbacks over conventional KY?

I've had jealousy issues with her in the past, but thanks in part to some kind words on here...that struggle is becoming easier to deal with every day. I imagine that we have great future ahead of us. Now to just quit my obssesive worries over having a baby too early. (I'd like to at least marry her first)

The morning after pill or missing a pill can make you spot. I doubt seriously that kneeing her in the ovary was an option, it isn't like kneeing a guy (well you get the idea) I would say you are fine, and if she can't remember the pill then suggest she try the patch which is worn on your body and only has to be changed every 7 days, has a lot of great benefits to it.