Advice around reference for new job

cjmcm

I suffer from MS and had a relapse in summer last year. Since then, my work has made it difficult for me to go back by refusing to make reasonable adjustments etc. So I've been signed off since September 2014. I decided to launch legal proceedings and that's all going ahead.

In the mean time, I decided I needed to move on and need a more supportive job environment so applied for- and was successful- in a new post. However, the new job is a conditional offer subject to satisfactory references and a medical clearance.

I'm very very anxious about how to deal with references. Obviously, my current job have to give me a factual reference and I've not been in any 'trouble,' I've been fast-tracked for promotion so my reference itself should be fine. I'm worried about my sick record. Is there any way of my new company not finding out I've been off for 6 months? Or do I speak to my manager to let her know?

Is there anyway my job offer can be withdrawn if/when the new company find out about my poor attendance record?

Thanks for any advice!

Archived