New Employer wants me to relocate somewhere I havent been before...

whitwhit

I got a job in China writing curriculum and training new teachers, this is for a chain of schools in Shandong provence. They advertised that the job was in a city where I have a very good friend living- Jinan. However, I couldn't start until April, so they ended up hiring someone else to fill that original role which is starting in February. They still really want me to come, but have changed their terms somewhat.

They now want me to work in a city 2 hours away from my friend's city, in a place called Qingdao. Starting in April, like I wanted.

I am unsure as to what I should do, because while I didn't apply to go to China to live with my friend; I found it very comforting to know I could rely on her regularly for a variety of support (she is my best friend, and speaks Mandarin fairly well). I wouldn't be able to see her more than once or twice a month if I lived in Qingdao.

The problem is that I accepted their offer already (when I thought the position was based in my friend's city). Now they have changed the terms. I really like the company, but the thought of bidding once more with Jinan companies is exhausting. And my current offer is the highest salary I believe I am likely to get. It is well above average for what I will be doing.

So here are my pros and cons:

Pros Qingdao

1. More western friendly- bigger expat community

2. Seaside resort town

3. Less pollution

4. Company headquarters is located here

5. Good nightlife

Cons Qingdao

1. Far from my best friend- 2 hours by train...

2. More expensive city to live in

3. Same salary as I would get living in Jinan, which is cheaper.

4. Don't know anybody there.

I really do want to go and have already told my current employer I will be leaving. Should I give Qingdao a chance? Or start to try to get bids from other companies where my friend lives?

I have lived abroad before for a long period of time- so I accustomed to how to deal with isolation, but I have heard the isolation experienced in china is particularly difficult.

If the area has the biggest expat community anywhere, you will probably be able to make new friends. I think that you should choose the job that is best for your career. You also don't have a bargaining chip because you are not flexible on start date. You either get the town you want or date you want. I think the expat community would be good for you because then you are not relying on your friend to provide you with a social network. Your friend was the whole world away. Now, a 2 hour train ride on the weekends and being able to talk on the phone at low cost is an upgrade, isn't it? If you start in this job and stay there for awhile, maybe you will be able to transfer to the town you want to be in, or you might come back to the states with all that new experience if you don't like it.

The other option is to say they changed their terms and bow out of the offer or renegotiate a higher salary to meet the requirements of the other town.

Archived