Are my feelings for him passion or friendship?

ChloeU

I have a pretty close friend who is about half a year older than me. I turned 14 and he quite a while ago. I’m really confused as to what he is to me - a close friend, or a potential love interest?

Everyone says we act as if we’re already dating. Everyone says we would be perfect together if one of us ask the other out.

He does have a thing of touching me more than a normal person would. But then he invades everyone’s personal space. He’s one of those people who would get into kissing range - regardless boy or girl - and find it perfectly normal. Which makes it really hard to know if it’s because he likes me, or if I’m just any normal person to him.

Anyway, he shrugs it off when someone says we’d be perfect together. He might like me but just isn’t sure whether I feel the same way. Or maybe he only sees me as a friend.

But before I find out, I feel I need to know how I feel about him first.

We have many things in common - we’re both readers, smarter than most, share the same views about many things others wouldn’t understand. He’s someone I can rely on when I need help with schoolwork; and vice versa. I tend to divide my time between him and my other two closest friends at school. But more often than not I find myself spending more time with him because I felt he’s more fun and the others can be a little boring. The thing is, everything I mentioned above could apply to boyfriend-girlfriend or friends.

There was one time when we were doing a trust exercise - one where you fall back and they catch you. Again, knowing he’s fine getting into everyone’s personal space, I had no way to know whether he did it because he wanted to touch me or because it was just something he wanted to do for fun. Considering he did it to his other close friend moments before he did it to me. But that’s not too important. What is important is that his touch made me forget my own name. It was something I’d never felt before.

I’d wondered before that and more than ever since then if I’m in love with him. Thinking of, seeing or touching him tends to ignite this spark in me. It’s like this fire of want.

The thing that contradicts that is that I cannot imagine myself kissing him. Touching him beyond friendly gestures. Maybe it’s nervousness because I’ve never been kissed before. Maybe it’s because he isn’t the one. But I still don’t know.

What is he to me? Are my feelings for him passion or friendship? Thank you so much for reading this long troublesome post and thanks in advance for your replies!

Edits:

I know I’ve used the word touch many times in the post - I did not mean it in any intimate way. He has not touched me in any highly personal areas and nor I him.

I know some of you are going to advise not to make any hasty decisions until I know how I really feel about him. I appreciate that. And I will do exactly that. It’s the answer what is he to me that I’m really looking for in this post.

I suggest you do NOT over analyze this. I knew a guy in school was much the same way. He was cute and all and we had our 'fun' times but nothing ever flourished. He never gave those signs or interest.

Sounds similar to this guy you know.

I feel it's more from YOUR end.. crush wise. I suggest to calm your tingles and carry on.. as friends. Enjoy who he is.

Look for romance elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I’d wondered before that and more than ever since then if I’m in love with him. Thinking of, seeing or touching him tends to ignite this spark in me. It’s like this fire of want.

I would say you like him more than a friend because wanting someone like that suggest that to me. The fact that you cannot imagine kissing him is just cause you haven't gone to that maturity level yet. It takes time.

I don't know if he likes you back, he haven't initiated anything, but it can also be that he just likes the way things are now and maybe would fear any change or he actually does see you only as a friend.

Archived