Friends moving away

GDS1

So within this week, three of my closest friends are leaving for university, some longer distance than others. One of these friends we'll call her Emily, we spent so much time together during school and after as well that we pretty much constantly saw one another. But this sudden change of seeing her everyday to within a couple of months scares me because it doesn't seem like we have each other anymore to help each other like we use to.

I know it's for the best that she goes, and I do want her to go because she's a clever girl and she'll do amazing there but I don't want her to leave because of the fact that our friendship could change because of it. I don't want us too drift apart because she means a lot to me..I'll just her so much when she goes

It's all part of life. You'll both make new friends and have new adventures. With social media and cell phones it's really easy to keep in touch w/ people, although the contact will probably be less frequent, especially as time goes on. I had a friend from the time I was 7 or 8 and in high school we became inseparable. We went to the same college but met different friends so we didn't really spend a lot of time together anymore. Now we're 40 and she was just in town and we had a couple of great afternoons together. We pick up like there's been no time apart but we usually only see each other once or twice a year and never talk in between unless it's a huge event (like family member dying since our families also know each other, divorce, etc).

Also, my son is going through this right now. He had a group of friends through high school that were really close. They've all moved all over the place for school. He keeps saying how weird it is to have them all separated. You aren't alone in this.

The point is you'll probably drift apart in some ways but if you stay at least in minimal touch, you can see each other on visits and you'll be just as close as always! Also, it's FUN to meet new friends. Best of luck!

Archived