Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Financial freedom - Selling my first property

spiderman_56

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if it's not, mods, feel free to flag it.

I bought my first house 2 years, a bit green, I didn't know much about the field so i took an agent to guide me through the process.

Here in Canada, the agent of the buyer gets paid by the seller, so i basically didn't have to shell a penny for his services.

I've made 2 poor choices.

1. It's built as a townhouse and falls under the condominium legislation, meaning that i have neighbors.Upon my arrival, i was greeted with a court case over trivial stuff and i had to educate myself about the law.

The first year was basically settling those issues [$$] and i've made the realization that having anyone who can interfere with a personal good [House] in any way is just not for me, so i've decided to sell.

2. The agent is my previous ltr parents recommendations. He helped me buy the first but he has not been to have more than 5 visits in a 6 month term. He also failed to count the # of rooms properly in a listing. It's a 3 bedroom condo and he listed at 2 and has not even noticed it after 6 months. So i've decided to fire him

Moving forward...I've just ran 3 interviews with different agents who were well rated by the # of sold properties. They all require a 5% commission where-as with the previous agent it was 4% .. a 1% is basically 3K out of the window..

Now i have 2 choices , either bite the loss or try to do it myself [ which is not promising... i have zero skills in sales ]

I'm not sure on what to do but i would like to hear from other people's experience

Archived