On the edge.

Aries73

It has been 7 months since my last assignment ended and I've exhausted my unemployment insurance 2 weeks ago. To be completely honest, I am fighting the constant urge to do away with myself. Every night it is difficult to fall asleep and I feel like no one sees any value in me or what I can do. There's a bridge near my apartment and the thought of leaping from it into the Mississippi River crosses my mind too often.

If I do not find a job soon, I'll be in danger of losing my apartment and any reason to live at all.

I have no idea how to give you advice on this. But I really don't like to see this unanswered. Please don't do that. You must try to find a solution.

Do you have friends for support. Someone you can speak to and tell exactly how you feel, even if they will not be able to help you financially or with a job?

Family?

Could you do volunteer work? It might help you change your perspective on life and everything? It may even enrich your curriculum.

What did you work on? What is your experience?

Please don't give up.

All I can say is that I really sympathise with you. I hate what is happening not just in "established" places but even some people I know in "developing" countries I know are moaning about unemployment.

I don't know the US system but surely there must be some help available somewhere.

Good luck.

At long last, a bit of good fortune came my way Thursday morning after I left an interview. It turned out that I had received a call during that interview and a voicemail was left. After some delay in returning the call, I finally got through before my 2nd bus was scheduled to leave. It was a representative for a company I had interviewed with less than 2 weeks ago, offering me a job starting in early August. To be honest, I had all but given up on that job after hearing nothing for 7 days, yet there I was at the bus station doing all I could not to jump in the air in triumphant joy.

Whether this was good fortune or cosmic intervention, I cannot say. I am quite glad, however, that I'll soon be back on my feet again financially.

I am happy to hear this.

No matter what, throwing yourself off a bridge should never be an option in your life.

Try to seek some help on this, therapy maybe.

The future is always uncertain and you need to learn how to take care of yourself even when you feel that the world stopped turning.

Archived