Possible move for work and school, but my hearts heavy...

brokenhearted1

So I have two daughters ages 9 and 5. I love them very much and they live with me full time, and see their father every other weekend and longer for holiday breaks. I recently graduated college and am wanting to use my degree as well as pursue a masters degree. In order to do this I need to move to a bigger area, but it's hard to save up for a move when I haven't been able to find work.

I recently had an offer from a close friend to move and room mate with her for awhile. But she has a 1 bedroom apartment and it'd be hard for me to get off of my feet with kids with me right away. My ex told me to let him take the kids full time until I can take them up there. I do want to set up a life for them, and I have a school to go to there but the thought of not being with them rips my heart out.

I would be able to move them there with me sooner or later but unsure as to when. I'd want a bigger place and to have money saved and to know the area a little better. I'm getting so broke where I am not I'm not sure if I will be able to afford much for them here for much longer. But they're life so even being away for a little while scares me.

Has anyone else ever moved from kids due to work/school? Anyone have any advice or stories?

I'll start by saying I have no experience in any situation like this, nor do I have kids, and I'm sure this is very difficult for you.

It sounds like you don't have much of a choice, since you say you can barely sustain yourself where you're at as it is. I don't see how paying more money to go to grad school is going to make your financial situation any easier, but if you think that will create the best life for you and your kids then it's probably best to just bite the bullet for a while. Your ex sounds like he's open to make helping you make it work, which a LOT of people do not have the benefit of.

I'll start by saying I have no experience in any situation like this, nor do I have kids, and I'm sure this is very difficult for you.

It sounds like you don't have much of a choice, since you say you can barely sustain yourself where you're at as it is. I don't see how paying more money to go to grad school is going to make your financial situation any easier, but if you think that will create the best life for you and your kids then it's probably best to just bite the bullet for a while. Your ex sounds like he's open to make helping you make it work, which a LOT of people do not have the benefit of.

For right now grad school won't help with money, but in the long run it will. Most of the schooling with be funded now with loans and scholarships and in a bigger city I can use my bachelors I currently have. So I'd be able to go to school and work.

Thank you for your response

So why not move, find some work, and get yourself settled before you start grad school? You might even find that in a larger market, you might not need a graduate degree. What are you going to school for, and what is your bachelor's in? No matter what it is in, I doubt a pile of money is going to just fall in your living room because you got a master's. You will still, very likely, have to start at an entry level job if you don't have any experience, as many MBA grads are finding out.

So why not move, find some work, and get yourself settled before you start grad school? You might even find that in a larger market, you might not need a graduate degree. What are you going to school for, and what is your bachelor's in? No matter what it is in, I doubt a pile of money is going to just fall in your living room because you got a master's. You will still, very likely, have to start at an entry level job if you don't have any experience, as many MBA grads are finding out.
I was planning on doing the move and finding work first...then probably school in like summer. My degree is in social services and I want my masters in counseling. Having a masters helps a lot in my field when it comes to stuff like obtaining licenses and what not.

Archived